% polarization of partially polarized light

In summary, the percent polarization P of a partially polarized beam of light is defined as P = [Imax - Imin]/[Imax + Imin] x 100 where Imax and Imin are the max and min intensities that are obtained when the light passes through a polarizer that is slowly rotated. Such light can be considered as the sum of two unequal plane-polarized beams of intensities Imax and Imin perpindicular to each other.
ken~flo
1. Here's the question:

The percent polarization P of a partially polarized beam of light is defined as

P = [Imax - Imin]/[Imax + Imin] x 100

where Imax and Imin are the max and min intensities that are obtained when the light
passes through a polarizer that is slowly rotated. Such light can be considered as the
sum of two unequal plane-polarized beams of intensities Imax and Imin perpindicular to
each other. Show that the light transmitted by a polarizer, whose axis makes an angle
theta to the direction in which Imax is obtained, has intensity

[1 + pcos(2theta)]/[1 + p]

where p = P/100.

Homework Equations

I = I# x cos^2(theta) (I# is I naught, or initial intensity)

3. I thought that the intensity would be at a maximum when theta=0 degrees, because
cosine of 0 is 1, so the Intensity of the polarized light would be equal to the intensity
of the light initially, but that doesn't seem to work out to something that resembles
the answer. I also thought that maybe p=cos^2(theta), since it is the fractional
percentage of the initial intensity. I also tried coming up with equations for Imax and
Imin, but I wasn't sure whether or not they would have the same angles and
intensities. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that you should add the two contributions for the two orthogonal "sources". So write one equation for the intensity distribution of one source, and another for the intensity distribution of the orthogonal source, and then add them, under the constraint of the top equation for the percent variation between the two sources...

Show us some of those equations, and I think you will be mostly there...

okay, so here's what I have so far

I (as a function of theta) = Imaxcos^2theta
Imaxcos^2theta = Imax + Imin
Imax(cos^2theta-1) = Imin
Imax(cos2theta) = Imin

am I on the right path?

Related to % polarization of partially polarized light

1. What is partially polarized light?

Partially polarized light is a type of light that has some degree of polarization, meaning that the light waves are aligned in a specific direction. However, unlike fully polarized light, the direction of polarization is not consistent across all the light waves.

2. How is the % polarization of partially polarized light measured?

The % polarization of partially polarized light can be measured using a polarimeter, which is an instrument that measures the degree of polarization in a light beam. The polarimeter works by passing the light through a polarizing filter and then measuring the intensity of the light that passes through the filter.

3. What factors affect the % polarization of partially polarized light?

The % polarization of partially polarized light can be affected by various factors such as the angle of incidence, the material through which the light is passing, and the wavelength of the light. These factors can alter the alignment of the light waves and thus affect the degree of polarization.

4. Can partially polarized light be converted into fully polarized light?

Yes, partially polarized light can be converted into fully polarized light by passing it through a polarizing filter. The filter only allows light waves that are aligned in a specific direction to pass through, thus converting the partially polarized light into fully polarized light.

5. What are the applications of % polarization of partially polarized light?

The % polarization of partially polarized light has various applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and materials science. For example, it can be used to study the properties of materials, analyze the composition of gases, and measure the rotation of polarized light in astronomical objects.