Polarization and energy level transitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between the polarization of a material and energy level transitions in a molecule or solid. It is theorized that when an electric field is applied to a material, the modification of the electronic cloud distribution may affect the quantum nature of energy levels in electrons. The conversation also mentions possible resources for further understanding, such as Flugge's book "Practical Quantum Mechanics" and Richard Zare's book "Angular Momentum". The concept of plasmons and their relation to electron clouds and quantization is also brought up.
assed
Hello. What is troubling me is I can't stabilish a connection. and it seems to be it should exist, between the polarization of a material by displacement of the electron cloud and energy level transition in a molecule or solid.
When an electric field is applied to a material, the "electronic cloud" distribution is modified. So, I wonder how can this be connected to the quantum nature of the energy levels of electrons in solids or molecules. I think such a connection might exist because when the electronic distribution is modified, the wave function must be in some way affected and so this could be related to electronic transitions between energy levels of the material.
What do you think? Can you offer some explanation or indicate o good reference?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
assed said:
Hello. What is troubling me is I can't stabilish a connection. and it seems to be it should exist, between the polarization of a material by displacement of the electron cloud and energy level transition in a molecule or solid.
When an electric field is applied to a material, the "electronic cloud" distribution is modified. So, I wonder how can this be connected to the quantum nature of the energy levels of electrons in solids or molecules. I think such a connection might exist because when the electronic distribution is modified, the wave function must be in some way affected and so this could be related to electronic transitions between energy levels of the material.
What do you think? Can you offer some explanation or indicate o good reference?
Thanks in advance.
This is definitely the case with isolated atoms and molecule in the gas phase.

Flugge's book: "Practical Quantum Mechanics" has worked examples for atoms. Richard Zare's book "Angular Momentum" discusses this for molecules.

Plasmons are all about electron "clouds" (or gas) in materials, and quantization. Look it up.

Related to Polarization and energy level transitions

What is polarization?

Polarization is the direction in which an electromagnetic wave oscillates. It can be linear, circular, or elliptical.

What are energy level transitions?

Energy level transitions refer to the movement of an electron between different energy levels in an atom or molecule. This can occur when the electron absorbs or emits energy in the form of photons.

How are polarization and energy level transitions related?

The polarization of light can influence the probability of energy level transitions in atoms or molecules. For example, linearly polarized light can induce transitions between energy levels that have a dipole moment in the same direction as the polarization, while circularly polarized light can induce transitions in both directions.

What factors affect the polarization of light?

The material through which the light is passing, the angle at which the light is incident, and the wavelength of the light can all affect its polarization. Additionally, scattering and reflection of light can also alter its polarization.

Why is understanding polarization and energy level transitions important?

Understanding polarization and energy level transitions is crucial in many scientific fields, including optics, materials science, and quantum mechanics. It allows us to manipulate light and matter in various ways for practical applications, such as in electronic devices and medical imaging.