Poisson's spot and the circularity of the obstacle

In summary, the Poisson's spot can be observed if the circular stop is accurately circular and the argument for it changes depending on the type of light used (white or spatially incoherent). The Cornu spiral can be used to understand the presence of the spot, but the Fresnel integral must also be considered. The width of the half period zones and spatial coherence of the light source are important factors in determining the intensity of the spot. However, performing this experiment is challenging due to the need for precise alignment between the source and the obstacle.
asdfghhjkl

Homework Statement

For poisson's spot to be observed, how accurately circular must the stop be? How is the argument for the Poisson's spot changed if the light is either; white or spatially incoherent?

Homework Equations

The Cornu spiral for the circular aperture.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Cornu spiral I understand that the Poisson spot will be present, however I don't understand the diffraction theory enough to be able to deduce how the solution to the Fresnel integral is going to change as a result of the non perfect circularity of the obstacle.

The way I tried solving the problem was to think about the Fresnel half period zones. From the Cornu spiral it is clear that when the obstacle covers and odd number of the half period zones the Poisson spot will disappear. So if the defect in the obstacle is periodic (suppose like a sine wave) which is centred on the boundary between the ultimate and penultimate covered half zones, the if the sin has the amplitude equal to the width of the half plate zone the result will be the disappearance of the Poisson's spot.

The second part of the question gets a bit more complicated, namely; the width of the half period zones is wavelength dependent. However it seems to me that this should not prevent there existing a Poisson's spot for certain wavelengths for certain obstacle sizes and distances? However I don't know what would be the effect of the spatial incoherence?

Is the above reasoning correct? is there a way to make the explanation a bit less
hand-wavy without involving mathematics?

No unfortunately, I did not get any further.

I agree with your argument with regard to the accuracy of the stop's edge. As long as the edge corrugation of the disc is much smaller, eg 1/10, than the width of the adjacent Fresnel zone: w = \sqrt(R^2 + (lambda *g *b)/(g+b)), where g and b are the distances between source to disc and disc to detector, respectively, the Spot will not be notably dampened by the edge corrugation. R is the disc radius, and lambda the wavelength. Temporal coherence, i.e. the width of the wavelength distribution is not so important - the Poisson spot is white for a white light source (within the bound of the above equation, and that the intensity of the spot is roughly proportional to wavelength). However, spatial coherence, i.e. the size of the source is very important. If the transverse coherence length at the position of the disc is about equal to the diameter of the disc, the relative intensity of Poisson's spot will be 1, i.e. equal to the intensity of the unobstructed light field. For large sources of width w_s the intensity is approximately 2/pi * g/w_s * lambda/R. More details you can find in the following article: https://doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/aa5e7f

Likes Charles Link
The previous post probably answered most of the questions on this, but in any case, I do remember our Optics professor telling us that this is a difficult experiment to perform, apparently requiring a very precise alignment between the collimated source and the circular obstacle if a good bright spot is going to be observed.

Related to Poisson's spot and the circularity of the obstacle

1. What is Poisson's spot and how does it relate to the circularity of an obstacle?

Poisson's spot, also known as the "bright spot" or "Poisson's bright spot", is a phenomenon in optics where a bright spot appears at the center of a circular shadow. This is caused by the diffraction of light around an obstacle, and is directly related to the circularity of the obstacle. The more circular the obstacle, the more pronounced the bright spot will be.

2. How was Poisson's spot first discovered?

Poisson's spot was first discovered by French mathematician and physicist, Siméon Denis Poisson, in 1818. He was studying the diffraction of light and noticed a bright spot at the center of a circular shadow created by a small spherical object. He then mathematically derived the conditions for this phenomenon to occur, and it was later confirmed through experiments by other scientists.

3. Can Poisson's spot be observed with different shapes of obstacles?

Yes, Poisson's spot can be observed with different shapes of obstacles, but it is most pronounced with circular obstacles. Other shapes, such as triangles or squares, may also produce a small bright spot, but it will not be as prominent as with a circular obstacle.

4. How is Poisson's spot used in practical applications?

The study of Poisson's spot and diffraction of light has led to advancements in microscopy and telescopes. By understanding how light behaves around obstacles, scientists have been able to improve the resolution and clarity of images in these instruments. Poisson's spot is also used in the production of holograms, where a bright spot is created by a laser passing through a diffraction grating.

5. Are there any limitations to Poisson's spot phenomenon?

One limitation of Poisson's spot is that it only occurs when the light source is a point source, such as a laser or a distant star. If the light source is extended, the bright spot will not be as well-defined. Additionally, the size of the obstacle must be small compared to the wavelength of light for the bright spot to be visible. Otherwise, the diffraction pattern will be too complex to observe the bright spot at the center.