Poissons' Equation, Electric Potential

In summary, the conversation is about finding the potential in all points bounded by an imaginary sphere with radius R and uniformly distributed space charge ρ. The dielectric is air and the problem must be solved using either the Poisson or Laplace equation. The initial attempt at a solution involves finding two constants, but the second constant proves difficult to determine. However, the solution for the second constant is eventually found to be C_{2}={\Large \frac{\rho R^{2}}{2\epsilon _{0}}}.
Bassalisk

Homework Statement

In an imaginary sphere with radius R, there exist uniformly distributed space charge ρ. Find the potential in all points in space, bounded by this sphere. (r<R). Dielectric is air. ******Must use Poisson or Laplace equation******

Homework Equations

[itex]\nabla\cdot\nabla ={\Large -\frac{\rho}{\epsilon _{0}}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did everything, and I found that one of the constants is 0.

But I get stuck when trying to find the second constant.

[itex]\phi (r) ={\Large -\frac{\rho r^{2}}{6\epsilon _{0}}}+C_{2}[/itex]

I know that potential is constant on R. But I don't know how to use that. I am basically stuck here. I tried with some derivations, that equal 0 etc. But didn't get me anywhere.

I have the solution for the constant: [itex]C_{2}={\Large \frac{\rho R^{2}}{2\epsilon _{0}}}[/itex]

Can somebody help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I got it. I misplaced the la place equation.

Related to Poissons' Equation, Electric Potential

1. What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the electric potential and the charge density in a given space. It is often used in electrostatics and electromagnetism to calculate the electric potential in a region based on the distribution of charges.

2. How is Poisson's equation related to the electric potential?

Poisson's equation relates the electric potential (V) to the charge density (ρ) through the Laplacian operator (∇²). It can be written as ∇²V = -ρ/ε₀, where ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

3. What are the conditions for using Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation can be used in situations where the electric potential is a function of three independent variables (x, y, and z) and the charge density is a function of the same variables. It is also valid for linear and isotropic materials.

4. How is Poisson's equation solved?

Poisson's equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Green's functions, and numerical methods. The exact method used depends on the specific problem and boundary conditions.

5. What are the practical applications of Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as in the design of electronic circuits, analysis of electric fields and potentials in materials, and modeling of electrostatic forces between charged particles. It is also used in image processing and computer vision for smoothing and edge detection.