Poisson Distrib.: Estimating Mean of Data Set

In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to estimate the mean of a data set from a Poisson distribution. The two options are taking the arithmetic average or fitting to a Poissonian. It is mentioned that there may be a small difference between the two methods, but it is important to consider the context and potential biases when determining which is closer to the correct result. It is also mentioned that an attempt at a solution is required before receiving assistance from the PF community.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

I am given a data set known to come from a poisson distribution.

Homework Equations

Poisson distribution

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to calculate the mean of the data set for use in the Poisson Distribution function. How do I best estimate this. Do I take the arithmetic average of the data set or do I fit to a Poissonian? Which is the better estimator for the true mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, why not do both and compare the results ? There is a small subtle difference, but it may go unnoticed in many cases.

I just want to know which is closer to the correct result, i.e. the parameter for the true distribution.

You've been around long enough to know PF requires an effort from your side too. What is the exact problem formulation ?
What is the context of the exercise (intro, hypothesis testing, chi-squared, other?)
You are supposed to have sufficient knowledge of the matter at hand to do this exercise -- so if this is just additional curiosity, do the exercise first. And if it's part of the exercise, then an attempt at solution is required by PF rules before assistance can be given.

aaaa202 said:
I just want to know which is closer to the correct result, i.e. the parameter for the true distribution.
That's not an answerable question. Sometimes one will be closer, sometimes the other. What you can ask is which produces an unbiased result, i.e. no consistent tendency to underestimate or overestimate.
Even then, this might not be the best in practice. It depends what you will do with the answer. In some contexts, it may be much more costly to overestimate than to underestimate, say. A full solution involves a cost function, and, no doubt, Bayesian analysis.

Related to Poisson Distrib.: Estimating Mean of Data Set

1. What is a Poisson distribution?

A Poisson distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the number of occurrences of an event in a given time or space interval. It is often used for count data, such as the number of customers in a store or the number of accidents on a highway.

2. How is the mean of a Poisson distribution estimated?

The mean of a Poisson distribution can be estimated by taking the average of the observed counts in a data set. This is also known as the sample mean. The larger the sample size, the more accurate the estimate of the mean will be.

3. What is the relationship between the mean and variance in a Poisson distribution?

In a Poisson distribution, the mean and variance are equal. This means that the variance of the data is equal to the mean, which is also known as the parameter lambda. This property makes the Poisson distribution useful for modeling count data.

4. How can the mean of a Poisson distribution be used to make predictions?

The mean of a Poisson distribution can be used to make predictions about the number of occurrences of an event in a given time or space interval. For example, if the mean number of accidents on a highway is 5 per day, we can use this information to predict the number of accidents that will occur in a week or a month.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution is commonly used in many fields, including insurance, finance, and healthcare. It is used to model rare events, such as the number of insurance claims in a year or the number of hospital admissions in a month. It is also used in quality control to monitor defects in a production process.