Poisson Brackets: A Simple Example in Classical Mechanics

In summary, Poisson brackets can be used to solve problems in classical mechanics that involve conserved quantities, like momentum or energy.
snoopies622
Could someone show me a simple example of the usefulness of Poisson brackets - for instance, a problem in classical mechanics? I know the mathematical definition of the Poisson bracket, but from there the subject quickly seems to get very abstract.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just thought I'd give this a bump before it disappeared over the page one horizon for good.

(80 views and no replies!)

Well, there's always Hamilton's equation:
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d}t} = \bigl\{f,H\bigr\} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/tex]
This governs the time evolution of any function f of canonical variables. It applies equally well to quantum mechanics if you replace the Poisson brackets with commutators.

If you really want a specific problem as an example, I'm sure I or someone else could look one up, but I couldn't give you one off the top of my head :wink:

Thanks, diazona.

Maybe what I should have asked is, what might f be? I know that it's supposed to be a function of p and q, and not energy since that's what H is. What's another function of p and q?

When you consider canonical transformations x = (p,q) -> X = (P,Q) (that preserve Hamilton's equations), you have the fundamental requirement (one-dimensional case for simplicity) [q,p]=1 -> [Q,P]=1.

A function L(p,q) (energy, angular momentum, linear momentum,...) is a constant of the motion if and only if it commutes with the hamiltonian [L,H]=0.

If A and B are constants of motion, so is [A,B].

In elementary quantum mechanic, the Poisson brakets are substituted by commutators [A,B]=AB-BA, that have the same properties of PB.

Etc.

Last edited:
snoopies622 said:
Maybe what I should have asked is, what might f be? I know that it's supposed to be a function of p and q, and not energy since that's what H is. What's another function of p and q?
Petr gave you some good examples, like angular momentum and linear momentum (I guess that's just p)... but pretty much any physical quantity you can think of can be expressed as some function of q and p in a particular problem. Velocity, angular velocity, position, electric and magnetic fields and potentials, etc.

As far as usefulness goes, if I take a simple mechanical system like a pendulum, a mass on a spring or a planet orbiting a massive star, I know how to use

[tex]

\frac {\partial L} {\partial q} - \frac {d}{dt} \frac {\partial L}{\partial \dot {q} } =0

[/tex]

and

[tex]

\dot {p} = - \frac {\partial H}{\partial q} \hspace {10 mm} \dot {q} = \frac {\partial H}{\partial p}

[/tex]

to find equations of motion. But are these also situations where

[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}f}{\mathrm{d}t} = \bigl\{f,H\bigr\} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}
[/tex]

might reveal something meaningful as well? What might f represent in these cases? Sorry for my lack of imagination - I really don't know.

(Edit: What I meant was, might the last equation reveal something that the ones above it do not?)

Last edited:

Related to Poisson Brackets: A Simple Example in Classical Mechanics

What is a Poisson bracket?

A Poisson bracket is a mathematical operation that is used to determine the time evolution of a physical system in classical mechanics. It is denoted by { , } and is defined as the product of two functions multiplied by the partial derivatives of those functions with respect to the position and momentum variables.

What is an example of a Poisson bracket?

A simple example of a Poisson bracket in classical mechanics is the bracket of the position and momentum variables for a particle moving in one dimension. It is given by {x, p} = 1, where x represents the position and p represents the momentum.

How is a Poisson bracket used in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, a Poisson bracket is used to determine the equations of motion for a physical system by taking the bracket of the Hamiltonian and a given function representing the physical quantity. The resulting equation gives the rate of change of that quantity with respect to time.

What is the significance of a Poisson bracket in classical mechanics?

A Poisson bracket is significant in classical mechanics because it allows for the description of the time evolution of a physical system in terms of the position and momentum variables. It also plays a crucial role in Hamiltonian mechanics and is used in the study of symplectic geometry.

What are some applications of Poisson brackets in other fields?

Poisson brackets have applications beyond classical mechanics, such as in quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and even in economics. They are also used in the study of chaos theory and in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations.