Poisson and continuity equation for collapsing polytropes

In summary, the conversation discusses a book on stellar structure and evolution and a question about collapsing polytropes. The conversation delves into the use of dimensionless length-scale and velocity potential in the Poisson equation, but the speaker believes there is a mistake and the gravitational potential should be used instead. The speaker later finds the correct formula and learns the lesson to always read until the end of a chapter or at least a paragraph.
AmenoParallax
Hello everybody!
I am using in my studies this beautiful book by Kippenhahn & Weigert, "Stellar Structure and Evolution", but I have some problems about collapsing polytropes (chapter 19.11)...
After defining dimensionless lenght-scale z by:
[itex]r=a(t)z[/itex]
and a velocity potential [itex]\psi[/itex]:
[itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial t}=v_r=\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial r}[/itex]
the authors rewrite the Poisson equation:
[itex]\frac{1}{z^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}(z^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z})=4\pi G\rho a^2[/itex]
but I think there should be the gravitational potential [itex]\phi[/itex] instead of [itex]\psi[/itex], in fact performing a simple dimensional analysis shows that the left hand side is a square length over time, while the right hand side is a square length over square time, so I think the equation is wrong... Am I right? Did I miss something? :confused:
Help please!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ok, i got through it, and there is a mistake, indeed. The function in the differential equation is [itex]\Phi[/itex], the gravitational potential, and not the velocity potential [itex]\psi[/itex]... I found the correct formula... in the following page :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Life lesson: always read until end of chapter! (or paragraph at least...)

Related to Poisson and continuity equation for collapsing polytropes

1. What is the Poisson equation for collapsing polytropes?

The Poisson equation for collapsing polytropes is a partial differential equation that describes the gravitational potential of a self-gravitating fluid, such as a star or a galaxy. It takes into account the density distribution of the fluid and the resulting gravitational force that acts on it.

2. How is the Poisson equation derived for collapsing polytropes?

The Poisson equation for collapsing polytropes is derived from the general Poisson equation, which relates the gravitational potential to the density of a fluid. In the case of collapsing polytropes, the equation is further simplified by assuming a polytropic equation of state, which relates the pressure and density of the fluid.

3. What is the significance of the continuity equation in the study of collapsing polytropes?

The continuity equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that describes the conservation of mass. In the context of collapsing polytropes, it ensures that the density of the fluid remains constant as it collapses under its own gravity, thus providing a link between the equations for the gravitational potential and the pressure.

4. How does the Poisson equation and continuity equation work together in the study of collapsing polytropes?

The Poisson equation and continuity equation are two essential equations that work together to describe the collapse of a self-gravitating fluid, such as a star or a galaxy. The Poisson equation determines the gravitational potential, while the continuity equation ensures that the density of the fluid remains constant as it collapses, thus providing a complete picture of the collapse process.

5. What are some applications of the Poisson equation and continuity equation in astrophysics?

The Poisson equation and continuity equation have numerous applications in astrophysics, including the study of star formation, the formation of galaxies and clusters of galaxies, and the evolution of the universe. They also play a crucial role in the study of dark matter and dark energy, which are essential components of our current understanding of the universe.