Points relative to vectors. And Eq of line. Vectors

In summary: Lower case).In summary, the first question is asking to find the coordinates of α, β, and γ relative to the unit vectors u, p, and q for the given vector x. The second question is asking to find the parametric vector equation of the line AB using lambda as a parameter, and the provided unit vector b.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of α, β, and γ rel. to u, p, q (unit vectors) of x = 1/9( 2i + 62j - 11k )(
(Note there orthogonal to each other)

Question 2 : The position vectors of two points A, B has position vectors a = < 2, 1, 7> and
b = <1, 4,-1>
Find the parametric vector eq of the line AB using lambda as parameter.

Homework Equations

For the first question I just did the dot product of x with each unit vector.
I ended up with σ = 2 , β = 3 , γ = 6
What do you think?

For the next question please don't give me an answer give me a question to direct my though if it is incorrect. Thanks.

So I said x = a + λb
Where b is a unit vector. Is this proper? I didn't want to expand it and write the vectors it will look a mess.
I have the unit vector b = < 1/ (3sqrt 3), 4/ (3 sqrt 3), -1/ (3sqrt 3)>
I think this is proper.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of α, β, and γ rel. to u, p, q (unit vectors) of x = 1/9( 2i + 62j - 11k )(
(Note there orthogonal to each other)

Question 2 : The position vectors of two points A, B has position vectors a = < 2, 1, 7> and
b = <1, 4,-1>
Find the parametric vector eq of the line AB using lambda as parameter.

Homework Equations

For the first question I just did the dot product of x with each unit vector.
I ended up with σ = 2 , β = 3 , γ = 6
What do you think?
What are u, p, and q? All you said was that they are unit vectors that are orthogonal to each other.
Jbreezy said:
For the next question please don't give me an answer give me a question to direct my though if it is incorrect. Thanks.

So I said x = a + λb
Where b is a unit vector. Is this proper? I didn't want to expand it and write the vectors it will look a mess.
I have the unit vector b = < 1/ (3sqrt 3), 4/ (3 sqrt 3), -1/ (3sqrt 3)>
I think this is proper.

Didn't you post this as a separate question in your other thread?

Mod note: Edited to properly show what was quoted.
Mark44 said:
What are u, p, and q? All you said was that they are unit vectors that are orthogonal to each other.

What do you mean what are they? I don't understand.
Yeah I posted this first then I thought not to clump so just ignore the second question. Thanks.Sorry they are

q = < 4/9 , 7/9 , -4/9 >
u = < 1/9, 4/9 , 8/9 >
p = < -8/9, 4/9 , -1/ 9>

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is to write x = <2/9, 62/9, -11/9> as a linear combination of u, p, and q.

In other words, you want to find constants a, b, and c (didn't see the point in using Greek letters) so that
x = au + bp + cq

Yeah and I got σ = 2 , β = 3 , γ = 6, so x = 2u + 3p + 6q
assuming that I kept that in the right order. and your a = alpha , b = beta, c = gamma.
I just had greek because the problem used it.

This letter -- σ -- is sigma (lower case). This one is alpha - α.

Related to Points relative to vectors. And Eq of line. Vectors

What is the difference between points and vectors?

Points and vectors are both used to represent location and direction in space. However, points are fixed in space and have no magnitude or direction, whereas vectors have both magnitude and direction. Points are typically denoted by a single letter, while vectors are denoted by an arrow above the letter.

How are points and vectors related?

Points and vectors are related in that a vector can be used to represent the direction and magnitude between two points. The initial point of a vector is where it starts, and the terminal point is where it ends. The vector can then be translated to any other point in space while maintaining its direction and magnitude.

What is the equation of a line in terms of vectors?

The equation of a line using vectors is known as the vector form of a line. It is written as r = a + tb, where r is a position vector on the line, a is the position vector of a point on the line, t is a scalar value, and b is the direction vector of the line. This equation can also be written in component form as x = a + t⋅b, y = c + t⋅d, and z = e + t⋅f.

How are points and vectors used in geometry and physics?

In geometry, points and vectors are used to represent points in space, lines, planes, and other geometric figures. In physics, they are used to represent the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion. Vectors are also used to represent forces and other physical quantities with both magnitude and direction.

What is the difference between absolute and relative vectors?

Absolute vectors have a fixed position and are not affected by any transformations, while relative vectors are dependent on the coordinate system and can change with transformations. Absolute vectors are typically used in physics, while relative vectors are more commonly used in mathematics and computer science.