Points on two ellipses with identical tangent lines

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the points where multiple rotated ellipses intersect. The person asking the question provides the known variables for each ellipse and is looking for guidance on how to solve the problem. The expert suggests using the Cartesian equation of an ellipse and rotating it to find the points of intersection. They also provide equations for finding the points using the given variables. The person asking for help thanks the expert and asks for further clarification on how to write the Cartesian equations.
ZippyDee
Hi, I'm trying to get this working for a program I'm making. I've been working on this for a while, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I have multiple rotated ellipses. Imagine you took a rubber band and stretched it around the ellipses. The rubber band would follow the curve of the outside of an ellipse until it reached a point on the ellipse whose tangent line was the same as the tangent line of another point on the next ellipse. What I need to figure out is where those points are.

For each ellipse, I know: center x, center y, semimajor axis, semiminor axis, and the amount by which it has been rotated. So any ellipse E has known variables x, y, a, b, and theta.

I don't have equations for the ellipses, all I have are those variables.

How do I go about solving this?

Thanks in advance!
-Zippy Dee

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I assume you can write the cartesian equation of the ellipse (if you don't, I'll explain it in the next post). This is of the form

[tex]A_1x_1^2+B_1y_1^2+C_1x_1y_1+D_1x_1+E_1y_1+F_1=0[/tex] (1)

and the same for the other ellipse:

[tex]A_2x_2^2+B_2y_2^2+C_2x_2y_2+D_2x_2+E_2y_2+F_2=0[/tex] (2)

where all the A,B,... are known numbers.

Now write another two equations:

[tex]2A_1x_1(x-x_1)+2B_1y_1(y-y_1)+C_1x_1(y-y_1)+C_1y_1(x-x_1)+D_1(x-x_1)+E_1(y-y_1)=0[/tex]

and the same for the second one:

[tex]2A_2x_2(x-x_2)+2B_2y_2(y-y_2)+C_2x_2(y-y_2)+C_2y_2(x-x_2)+D_2(x-x_2)+E_2(y-y_2)=0[/tex]

If you collect terms, you can write the last two equations as

[tex]y=G_1x+H_1[/tex]

and for the second one

[tex]y=G_2x+H_2[/tex]

Now put

[tex]G_1=G_2[/tex] (4)

and

[tex]H_1=H_2[/tex] (3)

You have to solve the system composed of equation (1), (2), (3), (4). You will get the four unknowns x_1, y_1, x_2 and y_2. Typically (but not always) you will find four 4-uples of solutions.

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense! However, I am not sure how to write the Cartesian equations for the ellipses. Could you explain how to do that?

ZippyDee said:
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense! However, I am not sure how to write the Cartesian equations for the ellipses. Could you explain how to do that?

Start vriting the canonical equation of an ellipse centered at the origin and "unrotated":

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

Then rotate it (clockwise) by the angle theta. This means you have to do the transformation

[tex]x\rightarrow x\cos\theta-y\sin\theta[/tex]
[tex]y\rightarrow x\sin\theta+y\cos\theta[/tex]

i.e.:

[tex]\frac{(x\cos\theta-y\sin\theta)^2}{a^2}+\frac{(x\sin\theta+y\cos\theta)^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

And finally, put the center of the ellipse in the right place:

[tex]x\rightarrow x+x_C[/tex]
[tex]y\rightarrow y+y_C[/tex]

that is,

[tex]\frac{[(x+x_C)\cos\theta-(y+y_C)\sin\theta]^2}{a^2}+\frac{[(x+x_C)\sin\theta+(y+y_C)\cos\theta]^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

(I won't expand this for you! :mad:)

Other questions? o:)

Hello Zippy Dee,

Thank you for sharing your problem with me. It sounds like you are trying to find the intersection points of the tangent lines on two rotated ellipses. This is a challenging problem, but it can be solved using mathematical techniques.

First, we need to find the equations for the tangent lines on each ellipse. This can be done by using the slope formula for an ellipse, which is given by: m = (-b^2x)/(a^2y). Here, a and b are the semimajor and semiminor axes of the ellipse, respectively.

Next, we can use the rotation formula to find the equations for the rotated ellipses. This formula is given by: x' = xcos(theta) - ysin(theta) and y' = xsin(theta) + ycos(theta), where (x', y') are the coordinates of the rotated point and (x, y) are the original coordinates.

Once we have the equations for the tangent lines on each rotated ellipse, we can set them equal to each other and solve for the intersection points. This will give us the x and y coordinates of the points where the tangent lines intersect.

I hope this helps you in your program. If you need further assistance, I suggest consulting with a mathematician or a programming expert. Good luck!

Related to Points on two ellipses with identical tangent lines

1. What is the significance of having two ellipses with identical tangent lines?

This scenario is known as the double tangent property and it has important implications in geometry and physics. It means that the two ellipses share a common tangent line at a particular point, which allows for a unique solution to certain problems.

2. How can I determine the coordinates of the points where the ellipses intersect?

The intersection points of two ellipses with identical tangent lines can be found by solving a system of equations. The equations will involve the parameters of the ellipses (such as the length of the major and minor axes) as well as the coordinates of the tangent point. There are various methods for solving these equations, such as substitution or elimination.

3. Can two ellipses have more than one pair of identical tangent lines?

Yes, it is possible for two ellipses to have multiple pairs of identical tangent lines. This occurs when the ellipses are tangent to each other at more than one point. In this case, there will be multiple solutions for the intersection points.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the double tangent property?

Yes, the double tangent property has been used in various fields such as optics, robotics, and computer graphics. For example, it is used in designing lenses for cameras and finding optimal paths for robots to move between obstacles.

5. Is there a general formula for finding the intersection points of two ellipses with identical tangent lines?

There is no single formula that can be applied to all cases of the double tangent property. However, there are specific formulas that can be used for certain configurations of ellipses, such as when one ellipse is a scaled version of the other or when the ellipses are centered at the origin. In more complex cases, numerical methods or computer algorithms may be necessary to find the intersection points.