Point of equilibrium with 2 charged spheres

In summary: The other 4 roots will give you a field point that is offset from the equilibrium point by a certain amount, but you should be able to find that amount too.In summary, to find the equilibrium point for a pair of concentric rings of charge, you need to use the superposition principle and calculate the electric field of each ring. Two of the six possible equilibrium points are located on the axis of the rings, while the other four are offset.
likephysics

Homework Statement

Two arbitrarily thin concentric coplanar rings of radius a and 2a carry uniformly distributed charge density -Qe and [tex]\sqrt{27}[/tex]Qe, respectively.
Assuming that Z axis coincides with the rings' axes, and that the plane of the rings correspond to z=0, determine the location of all points of equilibrium(ie zero E field).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Need some hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
likephysics said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Need some hint.

Use the superposition principle.

superposition came to my mind too. But didn't get any further. I consider the first sphere with charge -Qe. How find where E=0.

Sphere? What sphere?:confused:

Your problem statement tells you you have two infinitesimally thin rings of charge, not spheres.

Anyways, the superposition principle allows you to calculate the total electric field by adding the electric fields of each ring together. So, a good place to start might be to actually calculate the electric field of each ring.

Well, I used gauss' law and calculated the E field produced by each ring.

E1 = -KQZ/ (Z2+a2)3/2
and
E2 = KQ(27)1/2Z/ (Z2+4a2)3/2

I tried to find point where E1+E2=0 along Z. I just got lost in math. Am I going in the right direction?

likephysics said:
Well, [I used gauss' law and calculated the E field produced by each ring.

E1 = -KQZ/ (Z2+a2)3/2
and
E2 = KQ(27)1/2Z/ (Z2+4a2)3/2

I tried to find point where E1+E2=0 along Z. I just got lost in math. Am I going in the right direction?

Do you mean Coulomb's Law? There are none of the requisite symmetries present in this problem for Gauss' Law to be directly applicable.

Anyways, the fields you've given only give the z-components of each field (Remember, electric fields are vectors... they have 3 components and all 3 must be zero for equilibrium points) and only in the very special case that the field point is on the axis of the rings...what about points that are off-axis?

As for finding on-axis points where E=0; to make the math easier you might want to notice that [itex]\sqrt{27}=3^{3/2}[/itex]. So, if you end up with an equation like [itex]\sqrt{27}(z^2+a^2)^{3/2}-(z^2+4a^2)^{3/2}=0[/itex] (which you should), You could rewrite it as [itex](3z^2+3a^2)^{3/2}=(z^2+4a^2)^{3/2}[/itex]. Squaring both sides of the equation will give you a 6th degree polynomial to find the roots of and hence there will be 6 roots (although they may not all be real valued). You should immediately notice however that two of those roots will satisfy the equation [itex](3z^2+3a^2)=(z^2+4a^2)[/itex] which you should have no difficulty solving.

Last edited:

Related to Point of equilibrium with 2 charged spheres

1. What is the point of equilibrium between two charged spheres?

The point of equilibrium between two charged spheres is the point at which the electrostatic forces between them are balanced. This means that the attractive and repulsive forces between the spheres are equal, resulting in no net force acting on the spheres.

2. How is the point of equilibrium affected by the charges of the spheres?

The point of equilibrium is affected by the charges of the spheres in that the stronger the charges, the further away the equilibrium point will be from the spheres. This is because stronger charges will result in stronger electrostatic forces, requiring a greater distance between the spheres for the forces to balance.

3. Can the point of equilibrium change if the distance between the spheres is altered?

Yes, the point of equilibrium can change if the distance between the spheres is altered. As the distance between the spheres increases, the electrostatic forces decrease, and the equilibrium point will move closer to the spheres. Similarly, if the distance between the spheres decreases, the equilibrium point will move further away from the spheres.

4. What factors other than charge affect the point of equilibrium between two charged spheres?

The distance between the spheres, as well as the size and shape of the spheres, can also affect the point of equilibrium. Additionally, the presence of other charged objects in the surrounding environment can also impact the equilibrium point.

5. How can the point of equilibrium be calculated for two charged spheres?

The point of equilibrium can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electrostatic force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By setting the electrostatic forces between the spheres equal to each other and solving for the distance, the point of equilibrium can be determined.