Statistical Physics: Discovering Condensed Matter & Solid State

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of studying statistical physics and its various applications, including condensed matter, solid state, bio-physics, and polymer physics. The conversation also highlights the importance of having a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism in order to delve deeper into condensed matter physics. Several recommended texts are mentioned for further study in this field.
theFuture
Lately I've been reading a lot of statistical physics and I really enjoy it. I was curious what sorts of physics more study in this area would lead me to. Condensded matter? Solid state?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can now start to study the wonderful world of phase transitions and critical phenomena. Much of this comes under condensed matter physics, but it extends far beyond.

You should check out something like "Statistical mechanics of Phase Transitions" by J.M. Yeomans. This is a good introductory text. It is also common to begin studying statistical physics through percolation theory as this introduces the methods and ideas without as much of the complicated mathematics. An excellent and highly recommended text is "Introduction to percolation theory" by Stauffer and Aharony. For more advanced stuff on condensed matter in general there is "Principles of condensed matter physics" by Chaikin and Lubensky which is one of the all-time classic texts of the field.

Out of interest, what statistical mechanics books have you been reading?

Matt

theFuture said:
Lately I've been reading a lot of statistical physics and I really enjoy it. I was curious what sorts of physics more study in this area would lead me to. Condensded matter? Solid state?

Yes, but you could also do stuff like bio-physics, polymer physics, etc. Also keep in mind that you can't do very much of condensed matter physics without an good understanding of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

1. What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of large groups of particles, such as atoms and molecules. It aims to understand and predict the macroscopic properties of matter, such as temperature, pressure, and volume, based on the microscopic behaviors of individual particles.

2. What is condensed matter physics?

Condensed matter physics is a field of physics that studies the physical properties of solid and liquid materials, such as crystals, metals, and polymers. It focuses on understanding the behavior of large numbers of particles and how they interact with each other to give rise to macroscopic properties.

3. How does statistical physics contribute to the study of condensed matter?

Statistical physics provides a framework for understanding the behavior of condensed matter systems. It allows us to make predictions about macroscopic properties based on the microscopic interactions between particles. Without statistical physics, it would be difficult to explain many of the observed phenomena in condensed matter, such as phase transitions and critical phenomena.

4. What are some real-world applications of statistical physics in condensed matter?

Statistical physics has numerous applications in condensed matter, including the development of new materials with specific properties, such as superconductors and semiconductors. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and improving technologies such as computer memory and solar cells.

5. What are some key concepts in statistical physics related to condensed matter?

Some key concepts in statistical physics related to condensed matter include phase transitions, critical phenomena, thermodynamics, and fluctuations. Other important topics include the Ising model, which is often used to study ferromagnetism, and the Hubbard model, which is used to study strongly correlated systems.