Point Charges Composing A Sphere

In summary, the problem is to determine the electrostatic potential of a certain distance from a charged sphere. The two ways to solve the problem are to use Gauss's law or take the (Q/r) portion of Guass's law and do a summation over all the atoms in the sphere.
RockMc
I have a quick question about understanding the theory behind point charges and electrostatic potentials. I've not had any classes in electrodynamics, so I lack a comfortable foundation to help me think about these problems.

I need to determine the electrostatic potential a certain distance from a charged sphere. I know you can view a sphere as a point charge and apply Gauss's Law, but the difference for me is that my sphere is made up of hundreds of individual charges composing this sphere. Each charge can be viewed as individual point charges and they all have the same value.

What I do not understand is how do I get a single charge value for the sphere.

I thought about taking the (Q/r) portion of Guass's law and doing a summation over all the atoms, but with the amount of atoms making up the sphere this is unreasonable. Is there some simpler way to think about this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right. So taking a summation is a possible way to solve the problem, believe it or not. But the summation is in the form of an integral, due to the huge number of atoms making up the sphere. The other way is to use Gauss' law, which is easier, but maybe less easy to understand in an intuitive way.

EDIT: to make it clear, when I say Gauss' law, I mean:
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
And the way to do the summation is by using the equation:
[tex]- \ \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r}[/tex]
For each individual point charge in the (continuous) charged sphere, by doing an integral, keeping in mind that r will be different for each charge.

Last edited:
Ok, I believe I understand now! I think I was confusing myself with viewing the sphere as a point charge made of point charges, but Gauss's Law allows it to work that way.

Thank you for the help!

no worries, glad that I was of help.

I completely understand your confusion and frustration with this problem. Point charges and electrostatic potentials can be a difficult concept to grasp, especially without a solid foundation in electrodynamics. However, I can assure you that there is a simpler way to think about this problem.

First, it is important to understand that a sphere made up of multiple point charges can still be treated as a single point charge when calculating the electrostatic potential at a certain distance. This is because the individual charges are evenly distributed throughout the sphere and their effects cancel out, resulting in a net charge at the center of the sphere.

To determine the single charge value for the sphere, you can use the concept of electric dipole moment. This is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a system. In this case, the sphere can be viewed as an electric dipole with equal and opposite charges at its center. The electric dipole moment can be calculated by multiplying the charge of each atom by its distance from the center of the sphere and summing them all together.

Once you have the electric dipole moment, you can use the formula for electric potential due to a dipole to calculate the electrostatic potential at a certain distance from the sphere. This formula takes into account the distance between the point of interest and the center of the dipole, as well as the strength of the dipole moment.

I hope this explanation helps to simplify the problem for you. It is important to remember that while the sphere is made up of individual charges, their combined effect can still be treated as a single point charge for the purpose of calculating electrostatic potential.

Related to Point Charges Composing A Sphere

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is an idealized concept in physics that represents a particle with all of its charge concentrated at a single point in space. It has magnitude and sign, but no physical size or shape.

2. How is a sphere composed of point charges?

A sphere composed of point charges is a theoretical construct where a large number of point charges are arranged in a symmetrical manner to form a spherical shape. The charges are evenly distributed on the surface of the sphere, resulting in a uniform electric field both inside and outside the sphere.

3. What is the electric field inside and outside of a sphere composed of point charges?

The electric field inside and outside of a sphere composed of point charges is uniform, meaning it has the same magnitude and direction at all points. Inside the sphere, the electric field is directed towards the center, while outside the sphere, it is directed away from the center.

4. How is the electric potential determined for a sphere composed of point charges?

The electric potential for a sphere composed of point charges can be determined by using the electric potential equation, which takes into account the magnitude and arrangement of the charges. The potential is constant at all points inside the sphere and decreases as you move away from the sphere.

5. What are some real-world examples of a sphere composed of point charges?

Spheres composed of point charges are purely theoretical, but the concept is often used in electrostatics and electromagnetism to model real-world systems. For example, an atom can be thought of as a sphere composed of point charges, with the nucleus being a positive point charge and the electrons being negative point charges. Another example is a charged conducting sphere, where excess charge is distributed evenly on the surface of the sphere, creating a uniform electric field both inside and outside.