Point Charges Composing A Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about understanding point charges and electrostatic potentials, specifically in relation to a sphere made up of multiple individual charges. The question asks how to determine a single charge value for the sphere and suggests using Gauss's Law. The conversation also includes a suggestion to post the question in the classical physics section for further discussion.
RockMc

Homework Statement

I have a quick question about understanding the theory behind point charges and electrostatic potentials. I've not had any classes in electrodynamics, so I lack a comfortable foundation to help me think about these problems.

I need to determine the electrostatic potential a certain distance from a charged sphere. I know you can view a sphere as a point charge and apply Gauss's Law, but the difference for me is that my sphere is made up of hundreds of individual charges composing this sphere. Each charge can be viewed as individual point charges and they all have the same value.

My question is how do I get a single charge value for the sphere.

Homework Equations

E = Q / 4∏(ε0)r

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about taking the (Q/r) portion of Guass's law and doing a summation over all the atoms, but with the amount of atoms making up the sphere this is unreasonable. Is there some simpler way to think about this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to physicsforums, RockMc. Is this really homework? This thread might be better in the classical physics section instead (if it is not homework).

Ah, it's not homework! Thanks for the advice. I'll close this and move over to there!

Welcome to PF!

Hi RockMc! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Can't you just apply Gauss' law to any sphere round all the charges?

RockMc said:
Ah, it's not homework! Thanks for the advice. I'll close this and move over to there!

Excellent. I'll try to give helpful advice there.

Related to Point Charges Composing A Sphere

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a concept in physics that describes a particle with a non-zero electric charge that is concentrated at a single point in space. It is often used as a simplified model for understanding the behavior of charged particles.

2. How does a sphere composed of point charges behave?

A sphere composed of point charges behaves similarly to a large charged object, with the electric field and potential being determined by the net charge and distribution of the point charges. This behavior is described by the laws of electrostatics.

3. Can the distribution of point charges on a sphere affect its behavior?

Yes, the distribution of point charges on a sphere can affect its behavior. A non-uniform distribution of charges can result in a non-uniform electric field and potential, which can impact the behavior of charged particles interacting with the sphere.

4. How is the electric field inside a sphere of point charges calculated?

The electric field inside a sphere of point charges can be calculated using Gauss's Law. By considering a Gaussian surface inside the sphere, the net flux through the surface can be related to the enclosed charge, allowing for the calculation of the electric field at any point inside the sphere.

5. Is a sphere of point charges a realistic model for a physical system?

No, a sphere of point charges is not a realistic model for a physical system. While it can be a useful tool for understanding the behavior of charged particles, real objects are made up of discrete atoms with distributed charge, rather than point charges. This means that the behavior of a real object cannot be accurately described by a sphere of point charges.