Ever Named a Pet After a Famous Scientist?

• Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet
In summary, many people have pets named after famous people of science. Some of these pets have interesting names, like Einstein and Dr Who, while others are more common, like Vidocq and Verdosa.
Tsu
Gold Member
How many of you have (or had) pets named after famous people of science?

We have a cat named Einstein and just lost our dear big old dog of 13 years, Dr. Who. I'll bet there are at least two more feline 'Einstein's belonging to someone here. (We also had a cat named Dirt, so I don't know how honored scientists might feel about US naming our pets after them... )

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Who, i like this name!
He used to enter often in police boxes?
Anyway, I'm sorry for the lost of your dog :frown:

Not science, exactly. I had a dog named Vidocq, after Eugene Francois Vidocq, the famous super slueth some people consider as the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes.

I'm so sad to hear about your dog, they become part of the family.

Lol, no we don't have any pet named after famous people, but I've got another funny suggestion. I was working in an office one day, and a man came walking in: "Mr Janssen! Where are you? Mr Janssen? Come here then! Mr Janssen?" Turned out Mr Janssen was his dog! lol, that was so funny and confusing at the same time

The surname Mr Janssen is the most common in the Netherlands, so just replace it with the surname that is most common in your country, Smith for instance, or Patel, or Zhang

I had a turtle of name Verdosa (in english Greenish) of about 10 cm. in a plastic aquarium in the balcony of my house. It misteriously disappeared one day. We always thought that some stupid bird took it like dinner

Originally posted by Evo
Not science, exactly. I had a dog named Vidocq, after Eugene Francois Vidocq, the famous super slueth some people consider as the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes.

I'm so sad to hear about your dog, they become part of the family.
Thank you (ALL!) for you condolances. He was the sweetest old puppy... Yes, they surly DO become part of the family.
Dr. Who especially liked hats, so one day we took a bunch of pix with different hats him. We had Cowboy Dr, Ski Patrol Dr, Homeboy Dr... I've attached a picture of him as Towelhead Dr. He'd go out and play in the rain, so we'd have to dry him off before he could come back in - he just LOVED to be dried off. Then we just hung the towel over his head. Isn't he SWEET!?
We chose the name for two reasons. Ivan just LOVES to watch the show of the same name, and *I* can say things like, "Dr. - you A$$HOLE!", and not get fired from my job!

Attachments

• cropped dr.-.jpg
    cropped dr.-.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 477
I had a budgie called SPG (named after the hamster from 'The Young Ones') and another budgie called Horse. It was called Horse cos we couldn't think of a name for it so we thought of the song lyrics 'Riding through the desert on a horse with no name' and it all fell into place.

weird no?

My parents have cats named Clark and Lewis.

Originally posted by meteor
Dr Who, i like this name!
He used to enter often in police boxes?

It just looked like a police box! it is bigger on the inside than the outside...gees!

1. What is the purpose of pet names?

Pet names are often used as a way for owners to show affection and bond with their pets. They can also be used to differentiate between multiple pets in a household and to call them for attention or training purposes.

2. Do pet names affect how a pet responds to their owner?

Yes, pets can learn to associate their names with positive reinforcement and attention from their owners. Using a consistent pet name can help with training and create a stronger bond between a pet and their owner.

3. Can changing a pet's name cause confusion?

Yes, changing a pet's name can be confusing for them, especially if they have already learned to respond to their original name. It is best to stick with one name for a pet, but if a name change is necessary, it should be done gradually and with positive reinforcement.

4. Are certain pet names better than others?

There is no universal "best" pet name, as it ultimately depends on the preferences of the owner. However, shorter names with one or two syllables are often easier for pets to learn and respond to. It is also important to choose a name that is appropriate for the pet's species and personality.

5. Can pets understand their own names?

Yes, pets have the ability to learn and recognize their own names. They can also distinguish their name from other words or sounds. However, this may vary depending on the intelligence and individuality of each pet.