New whale species may have been found

• Thread starter iansmith
  • Start date
In summary, Japanese scientists have identified a new species of whale, which belongs to the baleen family. This discovery was made through a Nature article published by Shiro Wada et al. The conversation also discusses concerns about the killing of whales for research purposes.
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/11/19/japan.whale.ap/index.html

Japanese scientists say they have identified a new species of whale -- a remarkable discovery if confirmed.

The animal is a type of baleen, the family of whales that strain tiny plankton and other food from seawater, the researchers say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Unbelievable you scooped me!

I was just going to start a thread on this..
here is the Nature article:

Shiro Wada et al.: A newly discovered species of living baleen whale. In: Nature, Vol. 426, p. 278-281 (2003)

"Hey look, a new animal we ain't never seen before. Quick, get the harpoon, Let's kill it!"

Read the quote ||
\/

Originally posted by Monique
Unbelievable you scooped me!

I'm suprised Ivan did not scooped me

They kill whales for research?

Well, i know that at least some Japanese 'research vessels' do...and since the whales are already dead, they might as well just cut it up into edible little pieces and ship them off to well respected restaurants.

But they may not be representative of the entire research of the world.

Originally posted by einsteinian77
They kill whales for research?
It is worse, they kill wales to find out how wales multiply. Not.. if you keep fishing them..

1. What evidence supports the existence of this new whale species?

The evidence for this new whale species is based on genetic testing and physical characteristics observed in the specimens. Researchers have also compared the DNA of the specimens to other known whale species to confirm its uniqueness.

2. Where was this new whale species discovered?

This new whale species was discovered in the Pacific Ocean, specifically in the waters off the coast of Japan.

3. How is this new whale species different from other known species?

This new whale species has distinct physical characteristics, such as a unique coloration pattern and a different shape to its dorsal fin. It also has a different genetic makeup compared to other known whale species.

4. What implications does the discovery of this new whale species have?

The discovery of this new whale species has significant implications for our understanding of whale diversity and evolution. It also highlights the need for further research and conservation efforts to protect this newly discovered species.

5. Will this new whale species be given a name?

Yes, once the discovery of this new whale species is confirmed and published in a scientific journal, it will be given a formal scientific name. This name will be based on its unique characteristics and genetic makeup.