I'm missing something - help

• Thread starter speg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to solve a physics problem involving a diver jumping into water. They calculate the speed and acceleration of the diver and use the formula F=ma to find the average upward force exerted by the water. However, the answer they get does not match the answer in the book. After some discussion, they realize they forgot to take into account the force of gravity, which leads to the correct answer of 1176 N.
speg
I'm missing something - fixed :P

Ok, doing practice stuff over the summer ( expect more of these :P ) and anyway this should be easy but I can't get it to work.

A diver ( mass = 70 kg ) jumps off a board 10m above the water. If his downward motion is stopped 2.0s after he enters the water, what average upward force did the water exert on him?

Ok, I get his speed when he hits the water to be:
(2*9.8*10)^(1/2) = 14 m/s

Then it takes him 2s to stop... so we can find that acceleration:
a = 14/2 = 7

F=ma = 70*7 = 490 N

But the back of the book tells me it should be 1180 N.

Sorry about the presentation, I'll have to learn how to enter this stuff soon. :)

Haha, silly me forgot about gravity :O How do I keep all these things straight - there's so much stuff to worry about!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yes, the force required is the force to act against gravity (70*9.8) plud the force required to act against the 14m/s motion (70*7)

so (70*9.8)+(70*7) = 1176 N

No problem, we all make mistakes! Glad you were able to figure it out though. It's important to remember all the factors and equations when solving physics problems. Keep practicing and it'll become second nature to you. And don't worry, I'm sure you'll get the hang of entering equations and formatting soon enough. Keep up the good work! :)

Don't worry, it's completely normal to feel overwhelmed with physics concepts and equations. It takes time and practice to fully understand and remember everything. Let's break down the problem together and see where the discrepancy in our calculations is.

First, we need to calculate the velocity of the diver as he hits the water. You were correct in using the equation (2*9.8*10)^(1/2) = 14 m/s.

Next, we need to find the acceleration of the diver as he stops in the water. This is where the missing factor comes in - gravity. We need to take into account the force of gravity acting on the diver as he falls. This means that the acceleration is not just 14/2 = 7, but 14/2 + 9.8 = 16.9 m/s^2.

Now, we can calculate the average upward force exerted by the water on the diver using the formula F=ma. Plugging in the mass of the diver (70 kg) and the acceleration (16.9 m/s^2), we get F = 1180 N, which matches the answer in the back of the book.

So, the missing factor was the force of gravity, which is an important concept to remember in physics problems. Don't worry, with more practice, you'll become more familiar with these equations and concepts. Keep up the good work!

What does "I'm missing something - help" mean?

"I'm missing something - help" usually means that the person is looking for assistance in understanding or obtaining something that they feel is missing or incomplete.

What are some common reasons for feeling like "I'm missing something"?

There could be a variety of reasons for feeling like you're missing something, such as not having enough information, lacking a skill or knowledge, or feeling like something is incomplete or not right.

How can I figure out what I'm missing?

To figure out what you're missing, it's helpful to ask yourself specific questions about the situation or topic, do research, seek advice from others, and actively engage in problem-solving strategies.

What steps can I take to address the feeling of "missing something"?

To address the feeling of "missing something," you can try to identify what exactly is missing, set achievable goals, seek help or resources, and continuously reflect and adapt your approach.

Is it normal to feel like I'm missing something in my work or research?

Yes, it is normal to feel like you're missing something in your work or research. Science is an ever-evolving field, and there will always be new information and discoveries that may make you feel like you're missing something. It's important to continuously learn and adapt in order to stay current in your field.