Plotting IV curve of Si numerically

In summary, to calculate the IV curve of a semiconductor device, you will need to apply an external voltage and solve the equations of motion for the charge carriers in the device. This will give you the current as a function of the applied voltage. Numerical methods can also be used for more accurate results.
mshossain
Hi all

Before i start, i should say that i have been working in the field of quantam mechanics for just 6 months now. I have a problem where i have to draw numerically the IV curve of Si in MATLAB under forward bias condition. I have the electric field and potential calculated the following way, respectively -

Efield(jj) = q*dx*( -1*sum(drho(1:jj)) + sum(drho(jj:end)) )/(2*KS*8.85e-12);
U(jj) = U(jj-1)-Efield(jj)*dx;

where the drho is the total charge(n+p+nuclear charge). and U is the electrostatic potential.
So far this equations were used for the equilibrium conditions from which current (J) is calculated in the form of derivative of electron/hole density with respect to time (dn/dt or dp/dt); (J = sum(dn/dt)*dx). To plot the IV curves now i have to use the forward bias values (VA) so the potential on the n-side will change. But i couldn't figure out how i can introduce that into my MATLAB script. How can i relate the applied voltage with the resultant current (dn/dt or J)? Can anyone please give me some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>If you are trying to calculate the current-voltage (IV) curve of a semiconductor device, you will need to apply an external voltage across the device. This voltage will act as an electric field across the device, causing electrons and holes to move from one side to the other. The current flowing through the device is then a result of this electric field and the number of charge carriers in the device.In order to calculate the IV curve, you will need to solve the equations of motion for the charge carriers in the device. These equations will depend on the type of semiconductor device you are modelling. For example, if you are modelling a silicon diode, then you will need to solve the drift-diffusion equations. If you are modelling a bipolar junction transistor, then you will need to solve the Ebers-Moll equations.Once you have solved the equations of motion for the charge carriers, you can then calculate the current flowing through the device as a function of the applied voltage. This will give you the IV curve.You can also use numerical methods such as finite element analysis or Monte Carlo simulations to calculate the IV curve. These methods are more accurate than analytical solutions and can be used to model more complex devices. I hope this helps!

Related to Plotting IV curve of Si numerically

1. How is an IV curve of Si plotted numerically?

The IV curve of Si is plotted numerically by first obtaining the current and voltage values of the material at different points on the curve. This is done by applying a constant voltage and measuring the resulting current, and then repeating this process for various voltage values. The resulting data is then plotted on a graph with current on the y-axis and voltage on the x-axis, creating the IV curve.

2. What is the purpose of plotting an IV curve of Si?

The IV curve of Si is used to characterize the behavior of a material under different voltage conditions. It can provide valuable information about the electrical properties of the material, such as its conductivity, resistance, and potential breakdown points.

3. What factors can affect the shape of an IV curve of Si?

The shape of an IV curve of Si can be affected by various factors such as temperature, impurities in the material, and the quality of the material's crystalline structure. These factors can alter the material's conductivity and resistance, resulting in changes to the shape of the curve.

4. Can an IV curve of Si be used to determine the type of semiconductor material?

Yes, an IV curve of Si can be used to determine the type of semiconductor material. The shape of the curve can provide information about the material's bandgap, which can help identify whether it is a direct or indirect bandgap semiconductor.

5. How can the data from an IV curve of Si be used in practical applications?

The data from an IV curve of Si can be used to design and optimize electronic devices, such as solar cells, transistors, and diodes. It can also be used in quality control processes to ensure the consistency and reliability of Si materials used in various industries, including electronics and photovoltaics.