Plotting bounded surfaces with conditions

The shape of S1 U S2 is a cone with a disk as the base. In summary, S1 U S2 is a cone with a circular disk as the base, where S1 is a cone with the tip on the z-axis at 1 and S2 is a circular disk in the x-y plane with a center at (0,0,0) and a radius of 1. The equation x^2 + y^2 = 1 represents the circle, and the inequality x^2 + y^2 < 1 represents all the points inside the circle.
Gameowner

Homework Statement

Attached question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried rearranging S1 for Z then using Maple to plot it, which gave me a cone extending from the point z=1.

For S2, would I have to plot it twice? once for <1 and once for =1? I have no idea, any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• Q31.jpg
    Q31.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
Gameowner said:

Homework Statement

Attached question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried rearranging S1 for Z then using Maple to plot it, which gave me a cone extending from the point z=1.

For S2, would I have to plot it twice? once for <1 and once for =1? I have no idea, any help would be much appreciated
S2 is a circular disk in the x-y plane. The center of this disk is at (0, 0, 0) and the radius is 1. The equation x^2 + y^2 = 1 represents the circle, and the inequality x^2 + y^2 < 1 represents all the points inside the circle.

Mark44 said:
S2 is a circular disk in the x-y plane. The center of this disk is at (0, 0, 0) and the radius is 1. The equation x^2 + y^2 = 1 represents the circle, and the inequality x^2 + y^2 < 1 represents all the points inside the circle.

Oh! I was confused with the inequality more than anything.

So am I correct if the shape of S1+S2 is a cone? S2 being a disk on the xy-plane and S1 being a cone with the tip on the axis of z at 1, then extended to the xy-plane where it is bounded by S2?

S1 U S2 is sort of cone shaped, with S2 forming the base. I don't think it has the same shape as, say the cone in ice cream cones or in tepees, which have vertical cross sections that are isosceles triangles. I believe that the vertical cross section for the S1 surface curves in and goes up to (0, 0, 1) more steeply.

I haven't graphed it, but that's what I think.

Mark44 said:
S1 U S2 is sort of cone shaped, with S2 forming the base. I don't think it has the same shape as, say the cone in ice cream cones or in tepees, which have vertical cross sections that are isosceles triangles. I believe that the vertical cross section for the S1 surface curves in and goes up to (0, 0, 1) more steeply.

I haven't graphed it, but that's what I think.

Hey mark44, thank for all your help so far, I went away and plotted the graph again, and this is what I got for S1, is it vaguely correct?

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 360
Yep, looks good.

Related to Plotting bounded surfaces with conditions

1. How do you plot a bounded surface with conditions?

To plot a bounded surface with conditions, you will need to define the conditions that determine the boundaries of the surface. This can include mathematical equations, inequalities, or specific boundary points. Once the conditions are defined, you can use a graphing software or programming language to plot the surface according to those conditions.

2. What are some common conditions used for plotting bounded surfaces?

Some common conditions used for plotting bounded surfaces are equations such as linear, quadratic, or trigonometric functions, as well as inequalities like x > 0 or y < 5. Other conditions could include specific boundary points or constraints, such as x + y = 10 or x^2 + y^2 = 25.

3. Can you plot a bounded surface with multiple conditions?

Yes, it is possible to plot a bounded surface with multiple conditions. In fact, most surfaces will have multiple conditions that determine their boundaries. It is important to clearly define and understand each condition in order to accurately plot the surface.

4. What are some challenges of plotting bounded surfaces with conditions?

One challenge of plotting bounded surfaces with conditions is ensuring that the conditions are accurately represented in the plot. This can be especially difficult when dealing with complex conditions or multiple conditions that intersect or overlap. It is important to carefully analyze and understand the conditions before attempting to plot the surface.

5. Are there any tools or software specifically designed for plotting bounded surfaces with conditions?

Yes, there are several tools and software designed for plotting bounded surfaces with conditions. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and GeoGebra. These programs have built-in functions and features that make it easier to plot surfaces according to specific conditions and constraints.