Plotting an intersection seam on a contour plot ?

In summary, the conversation discusses intersecting 2D functions and plotting them with an intersection seam using Mathematica's Plot3D and ContourPlot functions. The MeshFunctions and MeshStyle options are used to plot the seam on the 3D plot, but the question is how to add the seam to the contour plot. The provided link offers instructions on combining graphics to achieve this.
evgenx
Hi,

I have two 2D functions (surfaces), s1(x,y) and s2(x,y) defined
via Interpolation. They intersect forming an intersection seam (which is a line).
I can plot both functions using Plot3D and I can also plot the seam on the same
3D plot by means of the MeshFunctions option. The comand I use reads the following:

Plot3D[{s1[R, a], s2[R, a]}, {R, 2.62, 3.19}, {a, 1.36, 1.78},MeshFunctions->{(s1[#1, #2]-s2[#1, #2])&},Mesh->{{0}},MeshStyle->{Red,Thick}]

But waht I would like also to plot is the intersection seam on the contour
plots of S1 and S2. I mean I can plot a contour plot of S1 or S2 (using ContourPlot)
but I don't know how to add the seam to the contour plot.

I will very appreciate any hint/instructions how to do that.
Many thanks!

Evgeniy

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Plotting an intersection seam on a contour plot ?

1. What is an intersection seam on a contour plot?

An intersection seam on a contour plot is the point where two contour lines intersect. This indicates a change in elevation or value on the plot.

2. How do I plot an intersection seam on a contour plot?

To plot an intersection seam on a contour plot, you must first identify the point where two contour lines intersect. Then, you can use a marker or label to indicate this point on the plot.

3. What is the purpose of plotting an intersection seam on a contour plot?

The purpose of plotting an intersection seam on a contour plot is to visually represent the point where two contour lines intersect, which can help in analyzing changes in elevation or value on the plot.

4. Can I plot multiple intersection seams on a contour plot?

Yes, you can plot multiple intersection seams on a contour plot by identifying and marking the points where multiple contour lines intersect.

5. Are there any software programs or tools that can help with plotting an intersection seam on a contour plot?

Yes, there are various software programs and tools that can assist with plotting an intersection seam on a contour plot, such as MATLAB, Python's matplotlib library, and Excel's contour plot feature.