Plot the graph of the electrical field

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting the graph of the electrical field created by a point charge of 10^-6 C as a function of distance to the charge. The equation E= Q/(4.pi.e)x(d^2) is mentioned, but it is noted that this is for electric field strength and not electric field created as asked. Instead, the equation E = k*q/r^2 is suggested, where k = 1/4πεo and k = 9*10^9. It is also mentioned that the y-axis of the graph should span a factor of 100 to account for the range of distances from 0.1m to 1m.
jayjay112
Graph Help!

Plot the graph of the electrical field created by a point charge of 10^-6 C as a funtion of distance to the charge. Plot the graph for the range of the distances from 0.1m to 1m

Should I use this equation... E= Q/(4.pi.e)x(d^2) as this is for
electric field strength and not eletric field created as asked?

If i do use thsi equation,
Do I need a value for e or can i ignore the 4.pi.e and just use E= Q/(d^2)
Do I graph the value of E to the correseponding value i used for d?
Should the graph be an inverse square graph??

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

jayjay112 said:
Plot the graph of the electrical field created by a point charge of 10^-6 C as a funtion of distance to the charge. Plot the graph for the range of the distances from 0.1m to 1m

Should I use this equation... E= Q/(4.pi.e)x(d^2) as this is for
electric field strength and not eletric field created as asked?

If i do use thsi equation,
Do I need a value for e or can i ignore the 4.pi.e and just use E= Q/(d^2)
Do I graph the value of E to the correseponding value i used for d?
Should the graph be an inverse square graph??

Thanks for your help.

You can use E = k*q/r2 where k = 1/4πεo

That's k= 9*109

Since your scale is a concern as it spans a range of input that is a factor of 10, then your y-axis needs to span a factor of 100.

I would suggest using the equation E= kQ/(d^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant and Q is the point charge. This equation is specifically for electric field strength, which is what you are trying to graph. You can ignore the 4πε term if you use k, as it is just a constant that accounts for the units used.

To plot the graph, you can use any value for Q, as long as it is consistent throughout the graph. As for the range of distances, I would suggest starting from 0.1m and increasing in small increments (e.g. 0.1m, 0.2m, 0.3m, etc.) up to 1m. This will give you a good range of data points to plot on the graph.

The graph should be an inverse square relationship, as the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point charge. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases. So, the graph should show a downward curve.

I hope this helps! It is always important to make sure you are using the correct equation and units when plotting graphs in science. Good luck with your graph!

Related to Plot the graph of the electrical field

1. How do you plot the graph of the electrical field?

To plot the graph of the electrical field, you will need to first gather data points for the electric field strength at different distances from the source. Then, using a graphing program or by hand, plot these points on a graph with the distance on the x-axis and the electric field strength on the y-axis. Connect the points with a smooth line to show the trend of the electric field.

2. What is the purpose of plotting the graph of the electrical field?

The purpose of plotting the graph of the electrical field is to visually represent the relationship between the distance from an electric charge and the strength of the electric field. This allows for a better understanding of how the electric field behaves and how it varies with distance.

3. What factors can affect the shape of the graph of the electrical field?

The shape of the graph of the electrical field can be affected by the magnitude and sign of the charge creating the field, as well as the distance from the charge. In addition, the presence of other charged objects in the surrounding area can also impact the shape of the graph.

4. How can the graph of the electrical field be used to determine the strength of the field at a specific distance?

To determine the strength of the electric field at a specific distance, you can use the graph to find the corresponding point on the y-axis. The value at that point will represent the strength of the electric field at that distance.

5. Can the graph of the electrical field be used to predict the behavior of the electric field at distances not measured?

Yes, the graph of the electrical field can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the electric field at distances not directly measured. By observing the trend of the graph, you can estimate the strength of the field at these distances.