Find the Max Compression of a 2.80kg Block

In summary, a 2.80 kg block with an initial velocity of 1.2m/s collides with a spring while a constant force of friction (mu sub k = 0.5) acts between the block and the surface. The force constant of the spring is 100N/m. The maximum compression can be found by using the equation 1/2mv0^2 = ffrictionx + 1/2kx^2 and solving with the quadratic formula.
physics333
A block having a mass of 2.80 kg is given an initial velocity of 1.2m/s when it collides with a spring. The constant force of friction acts between the block and the surface with (mu sub k=0.5) and the force constant of the spring is k=100N/m. What is the maximum compression?

I've been stuck on the problem for a while.
Workfriction + KEi + PEi = KE + PE

KEi =2.02J
fk =13.72
KE=0
PEi =0

therefore (13.72 N + 2.02 J)/ 50N/m = x^2

Is this equation right? If so, how do I find x?
I tried to work it but I can't figure out how to add Newtons and joules divided by N/m and end up with x in meters...

Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1N=1kgm/s2 ---- remember F=ma?
1J=1kgm2/s2 ----- remember W=Fx?

I still need more information...I'm not as smart as some as you. Someone get me started and I can figure it out...
Thanks

Originally posted by physics333

therefore (13.72 N + 2.02 J)/ 50N/m = x^2

There should be massive alarms going off when you get N+J in a physics problems.

If you put your equation together right, this should be easy:

KEi=Workfriction+PEspring
or
1/2mv02=ffrictionx+1/2kx2

Just remember the quadratic formula.

1. What is the definition of "max compression"?

Max compression refers to the maximum amount of force or pressure that can be applied to an object before it reaches its breaking point or becomes permanently deformed.

2. How is the max compression of a block determined?

The max compression of a block is determined by conducting controlled experiments and applying increasing amounts of force to the block until it reaches its maximum compression point.

3. What factors can affect the max compression of a block?

The max compression of a block can be affected by various factors such as the material and shape of the block, the surface it is being compressed on, and the amount and direction of force being applied.

4. Is the max compression of a block a constant value?

No, the max compression of a block can vary depending on the conditions and factors mentioned above. It is not a fixed value for a specific block, but rather a range of values that can be determined through experimentation.

5. Why is it important to know the max compression of a block?

Knowing the max compression of a block is important for understanding the strength and limitations of the material. This information can be used in engineering and construction to ensure the safety and durability of structures and objects.