Please suggest alternatives to this Atomic Physics book

In summary, the conversation revolved around the course on Atomic and Molecular Physics and the recommended textbook for it. The book is available on Amazon and the link provided allows for a preview of the contents. However, the school library only has copies of the book in German, so alternatives were suggested. Bransden B H and Joachain C J's "Physics of atoms and molecules" and Haken H and Wolf H C's "The physics of atoms and quanta" were recommended as alternatives. The conversation also discussed the availability of these books in the library and the preference for learning from multiple books.
Mépris
Hi, I am currently taking a course on Atomic and Molecular Physics, and the book for the course is https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642102972/?tag=pfamazon01-20. The course is based on this book. The Amazon link will allow one to preview the table of contents.

The school library only has copies of the book in the original German, and I'd appreciate if you could suggest some alternatives based on that. Maybe I'd be able to find them in the library.

Also, I like learning from more than one book.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dextercioby
Physics news on Phys.org
Mépris said:
Hi, I am currently taking a course on Atomic and Molecular Physics, and the book for the course is https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642102972/?tag=pfamazon01-20. The course is based on this book. The Amazon link will allow one to preview the table of contents.

The school library only has copies of the book in the original German, and I'd appreciate if you could suggest some alternatives based on that. Maybe I'd be able to find them in the library.

Also, I like learning from more than one book.

Thanks!
The following books would be reasonable alternatives.
  • Bransden B H and Joachain C J, "Physics of atoms and molecules" (Prentice Hall)
  • Haken H and Wolf H C, "The physics of atoms and quanta " (Springer-Verlag)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dextercioby
I concur to Bransden & Joachain, both of their texts (general QM and QM for atoms and molecules) are well-written.

Ah, Bransden & Joachain is only available for 1 day loans (or to be read in the library). I will certainly take a look at it.

I have, however, found an English version of Haken & Wolf, and have already loaned it.

Thanks all!

There are many great alternatives to the Atomic Physics book you mentioned. Here are a few suggestions:

1. "Introduction to Atomic and Molecular Physics" by Wolfgang Demtröder - This book is highly recommended for its clear and comprehensive coverage of the subject.

2. "Atomic Physics" by Christopher Foot - This book is known for its accessible writing style and includes many examples and exercises to reinforce learning.

3. "Fundamentals of Atomic Physics" by Robert L. Brooks and James N. Waldo - This book covers the basics of atomic physics in a concise and easy-to-understand manner.

4. "Atomic Physics: Precise Measurements and Ultracold Matter" by Edward A. Hinds - This book focuses on the latest developments in atomic physics, making it a great choice for those interested in cutting-edge research.

I would also recommend checking with your school's library for other options. They may have additional books or resources that can supplement your learning. Additionally, you can also look into online resources such as lecture notes or videos from reputable universities to further enhance your understanding of atomic and molecular physics. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Please suggest alternatives to this Atomic Physics book

1. What are the main reasons someone would need alternative options for an Atomic Physics book?

There could be several reasons for needing alternative options for an Atomic Physics book. Some people may find the language or content of the book too difficult to understand, while others may be looking for a more comprehensive or specialized guide. Additionally, individuals may have personal preferences for certain authors or teaching styles.

2. How can I determine which alternative options are the most suitable for me?

The best way to determine which alternative options are the most suitable for you is to research and compare different books. Look for reviews, read sample chapters, and consider your own learning style and goals. You may also want to consult with a teacher or expert in the field for their recommendations.

3. Are there any free or online alternatives to this Atomic Physics book?

Yes, there are several free or online alternatives to traditional Atomic Physics books. These may include open access textbooks, online lectures and resources, and educational websites. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the reliability and credibility of these sources before using them.

4. Can I find alternative options for this Atomic Physics book in different languages?

Yes, there are alternative options for this Atomic Physics book available in different languages. Many popular books on Atomic Physics have been translated into multiple languages, and there may also be books written originally in languages other than English. It may be helpful to search for books in your preferred language or to consult with a local bookstore or library.

5. Will alternative options for this Atomic Physics book cover the same topics and concepts?

The extent to which alternative options for this Atomic Physics book cover the same topics and concepts will vary. Some books may have a similar focus and structure, while others may cover different aspects of Atomic Physics or approach the subject from a different perspective. It is important to carefully review the table of contents and book description before choosing an alternative option.