Please somebody help me with this problem

• Thread starter angina1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a 100kg mover trying to push a 220kg refrigerator with a force of 500N at 0 degrees. The question is asking for a free-body diagram and the minimum static coefficient of friction needed for the refrigerator to resist movement. The discussion also mentions the forces acting in the vertical and horizontal directions, and the need for the mover to be braced against something. Finally, the conversation ends with a question about the maximum horizontal static friction force that the refrigerator can generate with its mass and coefficient of static friction.
angina1
I am looking for help to solve this problem A 100kg mover is trying to push a 220kg refrigerator with a force F=500N at 0 degrees. Draw or describe free-body diagram showing all the forces acting on the refrigerator and calculate the minimum static coefficient of friction us between the refrigerator and the floor that is necessary for the refrigerator to resist any movement.

I know that the forces acting in the vertical direction is a normal force and the weight of the refrigerator but I am confused about the forces acting in the horizontal direction

Physics news on Phys.org
The mover is exerting the horizontal force on the refrigerator. They don't tell you what kind of shoes the mover has (what their coefficient of friction is), so assume that the mover is somehow braced against something. Besides, at only 100kg compared to the 220kg refigerator, the mover had better have something to brace against, or else they need to put something slippery (or dowels) under the 'fridge.

What is the equation for the maximum horizontal static friction force that the 220kg object can generate, given its mass and coefficient of static friction?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this problem. I would like to offer some guidance to help you solve this problem.

Firstly, let's draw a free-body diagram for the refrigerator. This will help us visualize all the forces acting on the refrigerator.

As you mentioned, the forces acting in the vertical direction are the normal force (N) and the weight (W) of the refrigerator. These forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, as the refrigerator is not accelerating in the vertical direction.

Now, let's consider the forces acting in the horizontal direction. The force applied by the mover (F) is pushing the refrigerator in the forward direction. In order for the refrigerator to remain stationary, there must be an equal and opposite force acting in the opposite direction. This force is the frictional force (f).

Therefore, the free-body diagram for the refrigerator would look like this:

-------F----->
|
|
|
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|_______
|____

Related to Please somebody help me with this problem

1. What kind of problem do you need help with?

As a scientist, I am trained to solve various types of problems in my field of study. Can you provide more information about the specific problem you are having? This will help me better understand the issue and provide the most accurate assistance.

2. How urgent is your problem?

I understand that some problems require immediate attention. If your problem is time-sensitive, please let me know so that I can prioritize and help you as soon as possible.

3. Have you tried any solutions on your own?

Before seeking help, have you attempted to solve the problem on your own? If so, please share what you have tried so far. This will help me avoid suggesting solutions that you have already tried.

4. Can you provide any relevant data or information?

In order to effectively help you with your problem, it would be helpful if you could provide any relevant data or information that may be related to the issue. This could include experimental results, measurements, or any other relevant data.

5. Is there any specific area that you need assistance with?

I am here to help you with your problem, but it would be useful if you could specify any particular aspect or area that you need assistance with. This will help me tailor my response to better address your needs.