Please help with this Harmonic Motion

In summary, Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion characterized by an object moving back and forth with a constant amplitude and frequency. It is described by a sine or cosine function and can be seen in systems such as pendulums, springs, and mass-spring systems. The formula for calculating Harmonic Motion is x = A * sin(ωt + φ), with x representing displacement, A representing amplitude, ω representing angular frequency, and φ representing phase constant. Harmonic Motion differs from Simple Harmonic Motion, as it is a broader term that encompasses all types of periodic motion. Factors that affect Harmonic Motion include the object's mass, stiffness of the spring or system, and amplitude of motion. Real-world applications of Harmon
don_anon25
Please help with this! Harmonic Motion

Two masses m1=100 g and m2=100 g slide freely in a horizontal frictionless track and are connected by a spring whose force constant is k=.5 N/m. Find the frequency of oscillatory motion for this system. I know omega = sqrt (k/m), but I have two masses, rather than just one. How does this work? Could someone give me an idea of how I should go about solving this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
there's a place in the spring which doesn't move (the center-of-mass).
so each side of the spring stretches independently, with a new k.

I would be more than happy to assist you with this problem. In order to find the frequency of oscillatory motion for this system, we can use the equation for the natural frequency of a mass-spring system, which is given by f = 1/2π √(k/m). In this case, we have two masses (m1 and m2) connected by the same spring with force constant k.

To find the frequency, we can consider the system as one effective mass (m1+m2) connected to the spring. This is because the two masses are connected by the same spring, and their motion will be in sync due to the spring's elasticity. Therefore, we can use the effective mass (m1+m2) in the equation for natural frequency.

So, the frequency of oscillatory motion for this system will be f = 1/2π √(k/(m1+m2)). Plugging in the given values, we get f = 1/2π √(0.5/(0.1+0.1)) = 1.59 Hz.

I hope this helps you understand the concept of finding the frequency for a system with two masses connected by a spring. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep exploring the fascinating world of harmonic motion!

Related to Please help with this Harmonic Motion

What is Harmonic Motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth with a constant amplitude and frequency. It can be described by a sine or cosine function and is commonly seen in systems such as pendulums, springs, and mass-spring systems.

What is the formula for calculating Harmonic Motion?

The formula for calculating Harmonic Motion is x = A * sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant.

How is Harmonic Motion different from Simple Harmonic Motion?

Harmonic motion is a broader term that encompasses all types of periodic motion, while simple harmonic motion specifically refers to motion that follows the equation x = A * sin(ωt). In simple harmonic motion, the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

What factors affect Harmonic Motion?

The factors that affect Harmonic Motion include the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring or system, and the amplitude of the motion. The presence of external forces or friction can also affect harmonic motion.

How is Harmonic Motion used in real-world applications?

Harmonic Motion has many real-world applications, including in musical instruments, clocks, and shock absorbers. It is also used in the study of earthquakes and vibrations in buildings and bridges. Understanding harmonic motion is essential in engineering and designing systems that involve periodic motion.