Please help Two friction and Power problems

In summary: Power is average energy over time. But this is not your question.In summary, a block sliding on a horizontal frictionless surface at 10.3 m/s goes up an inclined surface with friction at 18.0 degrees, then onto another horizontal frictionless surface 1.50 m higher, at 9.13 m/s. The coefficient of friction needed to explain this is (ghf-1/2vi^2+1/2vf^2)/-gcosθ(hf-hi). Superman stops a car in 2.3 seconds and it takes him 1.2x10^4 kg car at 150 km/hr. The average power involved is ((m(vi/
infinitylord
I had gotten an answer that I'm very unsure of so I would like clarification and corrections if necessary. Thank you
1.) A block is sliding along a horizontal frictionless surface at 10.3 m/s. It then slides up an incline that has friction and is tilted at 18.0 degrees. Then it slides onto another horizontal frictionless surface that is 1.50 m above the lower one traveling at 9.13 m/s. What is the coefficient of friction on the ramp?

2.) Superman need to stop Lex Luther who is driving a 1.2x10^4 kg car at 150 km/hr. If he stops the car in 2.3s, how much power did Superman use to stop the car?

The Attempt at a Solution

1.)
KEi - ƩW = PEgf + KEf
1/2mv^2 - μmgcosθ = mghf + 1/2mv^2
μ = (ghf - 1/2vi^2 + 1/2vf^2)/-gcosθ(hf-hi)
that was the formula I finished with(even though it can be simplified)
I'm just wondering if this is right at all

2.)
P= W/Δt
W= Fd
F= m(vi/Δt)/Δt
d= VavΔt=1/2VfΔt
W= (m(vi/Δt)/Δt)1/2vfΔt
P= ((m(vi/Δt)1/2vfΔt)/Δt
That was my final formula for that. Again, I can simplify it but this would still give the "correct" answer.
Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) Looks right, though your notation leaves something to be desired. You can make it more readable by clicking "go advanced" and using the superscript and subscript features.
In (2), it becomes so unreadable I've no idea whether it's right. The question is inaccurate in a couple of ways. First, technically, superman would not use power to stop the car so much as absorb power from the car. Energy expended is force x distance measured in the same direction. Here they're in opposite directions, so superman expends a negative amount of energy. Secondly, it should ask for average power. The power involved might vary over the interval.
Wrt to the procedure in (2), it would be simpler just to deal with energy rather than forces.

Related to Please help Two friction and Power problems

1. What is friction and how does it affect power?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact with each other. It affects power by reducing the efficiency of a system, as some of the energy is lost due to friction.

2. How do you calculate frictional force?

Frictional force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces by the normal force acting on the object.

3. Can frictional force ever be beneficial?

Yes, frictional force can be beneficial in certain situations, such as providing traction for tires on a road or allowing us to grip objects firmly.

4. How can you reduce frictional force?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants between two surfaces, using smoother materials, or reducing the weight or contact area between the surfaces.

5. What is the relationship between friction and power in machines?

In machines, friction plays a major role in reducing the efficiency and power output. This is because some of the energy is lost due to friction, which results in a decrease in the overall power output of the machine.