Please help. Skating physics question I can't answer.

• Thread starter D_Lawliet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question is whether it is faster to do a hockey sprint style take off before transitioning into a stride, or if it is faster to run on the toe stops of the skates before transitioning to the stride. The best approach may vary depending on the skill level of the individual, but practice and experimentation can help determine which method works best for each person.
D_Lawliet
Okay, I joined the forums hoping to get a push in the right direction from some of the great minds I see posting on the forums here. In short I have a roller skating related physics question. I am trying to figure out and prove whether it is faster, in order to gain speed from a dead stop, to do a hockey sprint style take off before transitioning into a stride, or if it is faster to run on the toe stops of the skates for a few steps before transitioning to the stride..

I have tested both physically and watched other skaters race using these two methods against each other. The one with the most skill in their preferred start is usually the winner, as I have seen both methods beat each other.. So my question is, how can I find and prove which of the two is actually worth training to get better at? There are many things to take into account and I am unsure what to do, as it seems a simple race has too many elements that rely on human skill for me to see from it which method holds the most practical advantages.

Can anyone provide some insight on how to answer this?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is probably too hard to model for an accurate theoretical estimate, at least without studying it for months. Starting to run with normal shoes is certainly faster, but running on the toe stops is awkward, and you would have to model this awkwardness.
The experimental approach is probably easier.

Likes D_Lawliet
Thanks for the reply!

If the experimental model is best, what are some things to look for in order to eliminate any bias that could be caused by me (or another participant) simply being more comfortable with one or the other currently?

Well, what do you want to find out?

What will will a race at a given skill level? See what the fastest competitors do.

What will make you faster after x amount of training? Who knows. You can try both a bit and see what works better. That doesn't mean it is still better after years of training, but it gives some indication, especially if you combine it with experimental data from races from above (does the distribution shift with increasing skill level?).

I don't know about skating, but there are multiple sports where amateurs use different approaches than experts - strategies where your performance increases faster but then levels out at a lower level than strategies that need more time to learn but lead to a better performance after years of training.

Likes D_Lawliet
D_Lawliet said:
The one with the most skill in their preferred start is usually the winner, as I have seen both methods beat each other.
There is your answer. Take the method you prefer and practice, practice, practice.

Likes sophiecentaur

Related to Please help. Skating physics question I can't answer.

1. What are the most important factors that affect skating physics?

The most important factors that affect skating physics are friction, weight distribution, and velocity. Friction is the force that opposes motion and is affected by the type of surface and the material of the skates. Weight distribution, or the way the weight is distributed on the skates, can affect balance and stability. Velocity, or the speed at which the skater is moving, affects the amount of force needed to maintain momentum and direction.

2. How does the shape of the blade affect skating physics?

The shape of the blade can significantly affect skating physics. A longer and narrower blade will have less surface area in contact with the ice, reducing friction and allowing for faster speeds. On the other hand, a wider blade will have more surface area, resulting in more friction and slower speeds. The curve of the blade, or the rocker, also plays a role in how the skater can maneuver and balance on the ice.

3. What is the relationship between force and acceleration in skating?

In skating, the force applied by the skater's muscles is what propels them forward. This force, combined with the weight and velocity of the skater, results in acceleration. The greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration. However, once the skater reaches a certain speed, the force needed to continue accelerating also increases.

4. How does air resistance affect skating physics?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect skating physics. As the skater moves forward, they create a wake of air behind them, which creates a force in the opposite direction. This force can slow the skater down and make it more difficult to maintain their speed. To minimize the effects of air resistance, skaters often use aerodynamic positions and clothing.

5. What role does momentum play in skating?

Momentum, or the amount of motion an object has, is crucial in skating. To maintain a constant speed, the skater needs to maintain their momentum. This means that the force applied to the skates needs to be balanced with the force of friction and air resistance. Changes in momentum can also affect the skater's ability to perform certain maneuvers, such as jumps and turns.