Please help me with resistors in parallel/series - with many variables

In summary, three identical resistors are initially connected in parallel. When one resistor is removed and connected in series with the remaining two, the equivalent resistance increases by 700 ohm. To find the resistance of each individual resistor, you can use the fact that in parallel, voltage remains the same and in series, current stays the same. However, it is important to clarify if the 700 W mentioned is actually 700 ohm, as this would greatly affect the calculations.
vaxopy
Please help me with resistors in parallel/series - with many variables :)

Three identical resistors are connected in parallel. The equivalent resistance increases by 700 W when one resistor is removed and connected in series with the remaining two, which are still in parallel. Find the resistance of each resistor.

Im totally confused how to do this..
I know in parallel, voltage remains the same, wheras in series, current stays the same

please kick in the right direction on how to solve this (with many unknowns :) )
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really mean 700 W as in power?
Because then you would have to many unknowns, like the current for instead.
If you mean [tex]700 \ohm[/tex], as in resistance, then it is not to hard to calculate the answer.

No problem, let's break this down step by step. First, let's label the resistors as R1, R2, and R3. We know that when they are connected in parallel, the equivalent resistance (Req) is given by:

1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3

We also know that when one resistor is removed and connected in series with the remaining two, the equivalent resistance increases by 700 W. This means that the new equivalent resistance (Req') is given by:

Req' = Req + 700

Now, let's substitute in the equation for Req into the equation for Req':

Req' = (1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3) + 700

Simplifying this equation, we get:

1/Req' = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + 1/700

Now, we can see that the only difference between this equation and the one for Req is the addition of 1/700. This means that the resistance of the removed resistor (let's call it Rx) is equal to 700 W. So now we have two equations:

1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3
1/700 = 1/Rx

We can solve for Rx by taking the reciprocal of both sides:

700 = Rx

So we now know that the removed resistor has a resistance of 700 W. But we still have three unknown resistances (R1, R2, and R3). To solve for these, we need one more equation. Luckily, we have one from the given information: the equivalent resistance increases by 700 W when one resistor is removed. This means that the equivalent resistance of the remaining two resistors in parallel is equal to the resistance of the removed resistor:

Req = Rx

Substituting in the values we know, we get:

1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/700

Now we have two equations with two unknowns, so we can solve for R1 and R2. Once we have those values, we can use the equation for Req to solve for R3 as well. I hope this helps guide you in the right direction! Remember to always use the equations for parallel and series connections to solve problems like this. Good luck!

Related to Please help me with resistors in parallel/series - with many variables

1. What is the difference between resistors in parallel and series?

Resistors in parallel are connected side by side with each other, while resistors in series are connected end to end. In parallel, the total resistance decreases while in series, the total resistance increases.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, use the formula: Rt = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...). This means you take the reciprocal of each individual resistance and add them together, then take the reciprocal of the sum to get the total resistance.

3. What happens to the current in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current stays the same at every point. This means that the total current leaving the battery will be the same as the current going through each resistor.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, simply add up all of the individual resistances. Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

5. What is the purpose of using resistors in parallel or series?

Using resistors in parallel or series allows you to control the amount of current flowing in a circuit and protect components from receiving too much current. It also allows for different values of resistance to be combined to achieve a desired total resistance.