Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Please help me understanding this equation

emon2001

Oct 21, 2020
Hello, I am recently suffering from a math question that even my teacher can not answer. Please have a look at the image( sorry for low resolution ) . Here you can see the result of the equation is 3x - 2y = -1 . I don't know what is the rules here. Please somebody explain this to me how this work. Thanks for reading this.

Attachments

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Hi emon2001 , welcome to MHB!

I don't quite understand what you wanted us to do. Do you mean to ask for the value for $\dfrac{x}{y}$, given the system of equations?

Country Boy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 30, 2018
There is NO question here!

We are given a fraction, $\frac{x}{y}$.

Apparently we are told that if we add 1 to both numerator and denominator we get $\frac{2}{3}$. That is, $\frac{x+1}{y+ 1}= \frac{2}{3}$. Multiplying both sides by 3(y+ 1) gives 3(x+ 1)= 2(y+ 1) so 3x+ 3= 2y+ 2. Subtract 2y+ 3 from both sides to get 3x- 2y= -1.

We are also told that if we subtract 1 from both numerator and denominator we get $\frac{1}{2}$. That is, $\frac{x- 1}{y- 1}= \frac{1}{2}$. Multiplying both sides by 2(y-1) gives 2(x- 1)= y- 1 so 2x- 2= y- 1. Subtract y and add 2 to both sides to get 2x- y= 1.

We now have the two equations 3x- 2y= -1 and 2x- y= 1 and, I presume, want to find values of x and y that satisfy both equations. From the second equation y= 2x- 1. Replace y in 3x- 2y= -1 by that to get an equation in x only and solve that equation for x. Then use y= 2x- 1 with that value of x to find y.

Last edited: