PLEASE HELP inclined pulley 2 masses

In summary, Homework Equations involve solving for two unknowns using two equations. The two masses are connected by a string, so their accelerations are equal.
hersheykis

Homework Statement

This is a problem with two masses, a 24kg block sliding on an 11kg block. All surfaces are frictionless. Find the magnitude and acceleration of each block and the tension in the string that connects the blocks. The incline is 20 degrees. * this is not an atwoods machine...the blocks are on top of each other, connected by a massless pulley

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve this problem just like Atwood's machine. But you have to replace g by gsin(20). Try.

ok..so how would you start then? I tried it by using F=ma using the system, so i used the total mass and the net force( which is i think 117.31 using both the Fw parallels to the plane for each block). I thinkit may ybe different because its two masses on top of each other..not one hanging

Lower block is moving down along the incline plane with the upper block, even though the upper block is moving in the opposite direction. If T is the tension in the string, the acceleration of the lower block is [( 24 + 11 )g*sin20 - T]/35 and the acceleration of the upper block is [ T - 11gsin20]/11. Since they are connected by a single string, their accelerations must be equal. Equate them and solve for T and hence find acceleration.

ok..so i tried doing that and solving for T, but the website (webassign) still marks it wrong. Also, the 24kg block is on top of the 11kg, so wouldn't the acceleration of the upper block be [T-24gsin20]/24 ?? Doing it this way, i got 89.26N as T. I also tried it your way and it marked it wrong.

Treat this like any other Atwood's machine problem. The only difference is that all relevant forces are parallel to the incline instead of vertical. Set up Newton's 2nd law for each mass, giving you two equations. Solve for the two unknowns.

ok, i did that and webassign marked the answer wrong. I followed rl.bhat's help by setting the two equations equal to each other because the accelerations are equal, and i solved for T. Then i plugged that into find a, but i found that the a's in the two different equations were different. Is there something special because there is a larger mass on top of a smaller mass? Does it move up the incline, not down? Maybe there's something wrong with my math because of the directional negatives

hersheykis said:
ok, i did that and webassign marked the answer wrong.
Show exactly what you did. What were your two equations?

never mind...i got the answer by adding up the two net equations for each block and then solving for a. I then plugged that answer into the net force equation for one block to find T..but what's weird is that i got a different answer for T when i plugged it into the 11kg block (the wrong answer) but got the right answer when i solved for T in the 24kg net force equation. Why do you think this is? Shouldnt T be the same in each?

hersheykis said:
Why do you think this is? Shouldnt T be the same in each?
Of course T must be the same in both equations. That fact is used to solve for the acceleration. Unless I see the equations that you used, I don't really know what you did.

for the 24kg i did T-Fwsin20=24a, for the 11 kg Fwsin20-T=11a, then i added them together to get the equation, 107.8sin20-235.2sin20=35a. Then i got -1.245 for a. Then i attempted to plug a into each of the original equations to solve for T, but got two different values (the correct answer is 50.56N which i only got when i plugged in a into the equation for the 24kg block). Maybe my math is wrong?

Those equations and your answers are fine. And you get the same answer for T using either equation. Try it again. (Careful with signs.)

ohh ok i got it...thank you!

Related to PLEASE HELP inclined pulley 2 masses

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of the masses in an inclined pulley system?

The acceleration of the masses in an inclined pulley system can be calculated using the formula a = (m1 - m2)g sinθ / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the relationship between the masses and the tension in an inclined pulley system?

In an inclined pulley system, the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the larger mass minus the weight of the smaller mass, or T = (m1 - m2)g. This tension is what causes the masses to accelerate.

3. Can the angle of the incline affect the acceleration of the masses in an inclined pulley system?

Yes, the angle of the incline can affect the acceleration of the masses. As the angle increases, the acceleration decreases because the weight of the masses is distributed more evenly between the horizontal and vertical directions.

4. What happens to the acceleration if one of the masses is twice as heavy as the other?

If one of the masses is twice as heavy as the other, the acceleration will be half of what it would be if the masses were equal. This is because the formula for acceleration takes into account the difference in mass between the two objects.

5. Is there a maximum acceleration that can be achieved in an inclined pulley system?

Yes, there is a maximum acceleration that can be achieved in an inclined pulley system. This occurs when the masses are equal and the incline angle is 90 degrees, resulting in a maximum acceleration of g/2. Any other combination of masses and angles will result in a lower acceleration.