How Fast Will the Rocket Travel After Using All Its Fuel?

• Thread starter Asad Raza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves a rocket starting from rest in deep space with a total mass of 1000kg (500kg for the rocket structure and 500kg for fuel). When the engines are fired, fuel is ejected from the end of the rocket at a speed of 100m/s relative to the rocket. The question asks for the final velocity of the rocket when all the fuel is used up. Using the equations F=DP/D and P1=P2, the solution involves calculating the change in momentum by analyzing the small changes in mass (dm or dv) and using integral calculus. The final velocity is found to be 69.3m/s in the rest frame. The mass of the rocket decreases as fuel is used
Asad Raza

Homework Statement

A rocket starts from rest in deep space. The rocket structure and systems weigh a total of 500kg and it has 500kg of fuel initially. When the engines are fired, fuel is ejected from the end of the rocket at a speed of 100m/s relative to the rocket.

How fast will the rocket be going when all the fuel is used up?

Homework Equations

F=DP/D
P1=P2 (Intial momentum equals final in absence of any external forces)

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution of this problem shows a mass being added up into the rocket and the mass being ejected. Then later on, the solution takes the mass at end m+dm and applies integral. How come be a such a large change modeled by dm or dv, i.e a small change? Also, how is the mass being added upto the rocket? Please answer these two questions descriptively. The picture is attached below

Attachments

• momenum.png
    momenum.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 464
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Asad Raza said:
How come be a such a large change modeled by dm or dv, i.e a small change?
The large change can be analysed as the sum of a large number of small changes. That is the whole basis of integral calculus.

haruspex said:
The large change can be analysed as the sum of a large number of small changes. That is the whole basis of integral calculus.
Fine. And why is there an increase in mass of rocket?

Last edited by a moderator:
Asad Raza said:
Fine. And why is there an increase in mass of rocket?
Actually it is not an increase. They show m + dm, but dm can be a negative number as well. It turns out that the limits of the integral start at 1000 and goes down to 500, which tells us that m does decrease (each dm is decreasing the mass). Note that it shows a -dm for the exhaust (but exhaust mass is increasing).

I think the mass should be the other way around, but them I may have missed something.. The question is what the rocket velocity will be after 500Kg of fuel has been used,not what the exhaust gas will be (which I would assume zero).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-07-13 19.52.18.png
    Screenshot 2017-07-13 19.52.18.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 427
MartinCarr said:
I think the mass should be the other way around, but them I may have missed something.. The question is what the rocket velocity will be after 500Kg of fuel has been used,not what the exhaust gas will be (which I would assume zero).
I do not understand your objection to the original solution. It appears to be the same as yours (and gets the same answer).
The last bit of fuel will have a speed 100-69.3=30.7m/s in the rest frame.

MartinCarr said:
I thought this was resolved. Just so it's clear on the mass, the 500 kg rocket plus 500 kg fuel = 1000 kg starting mass. The ending mass (after 500 kg fuel is used) is 500 kg. That is why the integral goes from 1000 kg to 500 kg.

1. What is momentum and why is it important in physics?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In physics, momentum is important because it is a conserved quantity, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. This allows us to predict the motion of objects and understand how they interact with each other.

2. How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity. The unit for momentum is kilogram meters per second (kg·m/s).

3. What is the difference between linear momentum and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to the motion of an object around an axis or point. Linear momentum is calculated using the object's mass and velocity, while angular momentum is calculated using the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

4. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the initial momentum of all objects in the system will be equal to the final momentum. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum and is a fundamental principle in physics.

5. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen positive direction. The direction of momentum is important in determining the direction of an object's motion and how it will interact with other objects.