Please help, finding the acceleration of g from an excel graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the acceleration of gravity (g) through experiments involving a falling object and a simple pendulum. The equations used in the experiment are y=0.676x + 0.082 and y= 0.976x + 0.044, with R^2 values of 0.966 and 0.992 respectively. The attempt at solving the problem involved graphing y vs t^2 and using the slope of the trend line to find the acceleration. However, there may have been errors in measurement and human reaction time that affected the results. The conversation ends with a discussion on how to improve measuring skills and the importance of not altering results to fit theories.
awilliams315

Homework Statement

I have to calculate g or find the acceleration of g using the slope of the trend line from the y vs. t^2 graph.

I had to use excel and did this for lab with data and use the equation excel came up with after i finished the graph, and I have no idea how to find the acceleration.

ALSO, I had to use each set to find g for each one, so the data for the falling object is totally separate from the pendulum data, I just am required to find g for each one.

Homework Equations

the equations I have to use i guess from excel look like this for timing the fall of a dropped object to determine acceleration of g.

y=0.676x + 0.082
R^2 = 0.966

then the second set of equations for finding the acceleration of g using a simple pendulum were these

y= 0.976x + 0.044
R^2 = 0.992

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried everything, and it is supposed to be within a 25% discrepency of the book value of 9.8 m/s^2 for the acceleration of gravity. Everything I have tried has come not even close to that value.

in the lab we were given these equations under the timing the fall of a dropped object.

s= 1/2at^2
y=mx
slope= 1/2a

for this one I tried (1/2)(0.676)= .338 not a bit close to the 9.8

and these equations for the simple pendulum.

T= 2(pie) square root (L/g)
T^2 = 4(pie^2) (L/g) rearranged to L= (g/ 4(pie^2)) * T^2
slope = g / (4 (pie^2))

for this I tried slope being 0.976 (4*3.14^2) = g
0.976(39.4384)=g
38.49=g - which is was off.

I just can't figure out what formula I am supposed to use and what parts of the y= equations i am supposed to use to find this

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the falling object part of the lab, what was the experimental setup? Was the object simply allowed to drop vertically through the air, and timings made for different amounts of vertical drop? In what units were things measured (time, distance). Were there any calibration or conversions to apply to the instrument readings?

Welcome to PF.
It looks like you did an experiment, dropping an object and measuring its vertical position y at various times t. And graphed y vs t.
The theory for this is y = ½gt², so you would expect the graph to be curved in the shape of a parabola. The usual procedure is to work with the theory and the data together, deducing that if you graphed y vs t² you should get a straight line graph. And that its slope would be ½g.
You can see that if you replace t² with x in y = ½gt² and compare it with the equation of a straight line, y = mx + b.
Do graph y vs t² and let us know what it looks like and (if it is close to a straight line) what you get for the slope.

For the falling part of the lab, we were to tape a meter stick on the wall and label the following heights, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2, 1.5, and 1.8 m. We were then to do five trials at each height by placing a nickel against the stick and timing the fall from each height onto the floor with a stopwatch. The following is the data table

5 timed trials in seconds
height (m)... 1... 2...3... 4... 5...ave...time^2...max time sq - ave time squared...ave time squared - min time squared

0... 0.00...0.00...0.00... 0.00... 0.00... 0.00...0.00.... 0.00......... 0.00
0.6... 0.75...0.72...0.75... 0.72... 0.78... 0.74...0.55.... 0.05......... 0.04
0.9... 0.78...0.97...0.87... 0.91... 0.91... 0.89...0.79.... 0.15......... 0.18
1.2... 0.90...0.99...1.09... 0.91... 0.91... 0.96...0.92.... 0.27......... 0.11
1.5... 1.00...1.06...0.97... 0.88... 1.06... 0.99...0.99.... 0.14......... 0.21
1.8... 1.18...1.19...1.09... 1.10... 1.15... 1.14...1.30.... 0.11......... 0.12

Last edited:
Delphi,

We were required to have a linear treadline which I have and also is supposed to be displacement vs. time squared, then adding custom error bars horizontally according to the max, min avg time squared on the data table i just provided.

I don't know if I am overlooking something very simple, but I have never in my life done physics, and am taking this class online, which seems to make it a lot harder. thanks

the slope for the falling object was

y=0.676x + 0.082
R^2 = 0.966

Last edited:
Did you graph displacement vs. time squared ?
On this graph got a slope of 0.676?
Unreasonable answer!

I can't follow the table you entered. Maybe just tell very clearly what you got for two heights and how you put it on the graph. Say you dropped from height 0.6 m and got an average time of 0.35 s. Then dropped from 0.9 m and got time of 0.43 s. Then you would get
graph.jpg

The slope is 5.1 - pretty close to half of g.

Last edited:
Oops, bungled the graph. . . . wait a minute. Should be okay now.

Last edited:
the teacher gave us step by step instructions for excel, the 1-5 trials were to be added up and averaged as shown under ave. Then the time squared was the average squared. I used height (m) such as 0.6, 0.9, etc as y axis, and 0.55, 0.79, etc for the time squareed x axis.

Did the instructions say anything about correcting for human reaction time? Your reflexes in manning the stopwatch could add a consistent bias to the time readings. In fact, given your supplied data, if you subtract a bias of 0.45 seconds from the average times, your plotted data will shift nicely to overlap the theoretical plots for both the t and t2 plots.

What do we do if we suspect a reaction time error?
Fudging results to match theory is . . . very crude and disappointing. Also a very bad habit. No special equipment needed; you could easily repeat the experiment at home.

Practising will improve measuring skill. Check by measuring a pendulum swing (measure 100 swings to get a very accurate time for one swing) and keep at it until you can measure within a tenth of a second.

Related to Please help, finding the acceleration of g from an excel graph

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration from an Excel graph?

The formula for calculating acceleration is a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1), where v represents velocity and t represents time.

2. How do I plot a graph in Excel to find acceleration?

To plot a graph in Excel, you can enter your data points for velocity and time in two columns, select the data, and click on the "Insert" tab. From there, you can choose the type of graph you want and customize it according to your needs.

3. Can I use a scatter plot to find acceleration in Excel?

Yes, you can use a scatter plot to find acceleration in Excel. Simply plot your data points for velocity and time, and then add a trendline to the graph. The slope of the trendline represents the acceleration value.

4. How accurate is finding acceleration from an Excel graph?

The accuracy of finding acceleration from an Excel graph depends on the accuracy of your data points and the precision of your graph. It is always recommended to have multiple data points and to use a best-fit line or trendline to improve accuracy.

5. Can I use Excel to find the acceleration of g?

Yes, you can use Excel to find the acceleration of g. Simply plot your data points for velocity and time, and then use the formula a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1) to calculate the acceleration. The value should be close to 9.8 m/s2, which is the acceleration of g on Earth.