What are Some Unusual and Controversial Foods People Eat?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know. I'd rather not think about it.In summary, the Disgusting things people eat includes horse meat, processed food, and spam.
I used to raise goats and I had a bunny. I could never eat those, either. Just like the frog legs... But at least I TRIED the frog legs!

Physics news on Phys.org
Frogs tastes like chicken

Originally posted by The_Professional
Frogs tastes like chicken

they're certainly better than pig's blood...

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
they're certainly better than pig's blood...

LOL yes

Pig's blood is high in protein but high in cholesterol as well.

I guess beef heart is the extent of my disgustingness.

I was enjoing dinner at a Korean BBQ in Seoul when I asked "So what kind of meat is this anyway" The other service engineer(Korean) replied "I think it's dog"

When I asked what kind of dog he said "brown dog"

I've also had black pudding when I was in Ireland...bleeech

As Guybrush Threepwood in our hood we have bunch of sorts of sausages made of all crazy stuff, nevertheless tasty (yes, blood ones too)… I must say that I don’t like crazy exotics, but I’ve eaten cow’s brains (or it was a pig I don’t remember), when I was kid (it wasn’t free will), yes tongues too :)...

Originally posted by eagleone
I must say that I don’t like crazy exotics, but I’ve eaten cow’s brains (or it was a pig I don’t remember), when I was kid (it wasn’t free will), yes tongues too :)...

Brains are ... eatable, but come on tongue?
ok, how about liver? Personally, I like it...

I've had Armadillo, which tasted excellent. Also blood pudding.

Originally posted by Monique
I am eating a sandwhich with tongue on it, somehow it is rather rubbery.. Anyone else eats tongue?

How about horse, does anyone eat the meat of horse? I think it taste rather good on a sandwhich, I never had a horse steak though..

So any unusual things you eat?

Cats, Dogs, Rats, Monkey Brains, etc...

lol just kidding :wink:

Here in the US we strictly limit the amount of rat feces, etc. we ingest with our food. Other countries have just lost count.

Are you sure? I have seen some documentaries on US food kitchens..

Today I had another delicatesse: some kind of sandwich deli made of blood :) I can't help it! My mom keeps bringing such stuff home

Hmm...what you are talking about I never heard many of them in Bangladesh

Besides as a Muslim we can't eat these:

1. Pig
2. Blood
3. Carnivorous animals
4. Almost all reptiles and insects
5. The bodies of dead animals
6. Halal animals which are not slaughtered according to the Islamic Law.
7. Wine, Ethyl Alcohol, and Spirits.

You may know more of them:
http://www.eat-halal.com/haram.shtml

Moni,

You can't eat (2.) blood, or (5.) the bodies of dead animals? That's called vegetarianism. More power to you.

I celebrated 20 years of alcoholic abstinence (one beer - 20 years) last week.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
I celebrated 20 years of alcoholic abstinence (one beer - 20 years) last week.
Really? More people should do that.. :)

Moni, have you ever heard of people who can't eat anything that grows in the ground? A friend of mine once told me he knew some people like that, it had something to do with their religion/philosophy :)

I've eaten chickens feet, and goat brain. I don't think I'll ever eat either regularly, but neither were as bad as I would have expected

if you are planning to visit China any time in the future, they cook up REALLY weird stuff.
Have you eaten any of those weird stuffs? When I was young, I heard my grandma talking about how cockroaches could be cooked.

I eat a lot of "disgusting" food you've listed above, including tongue of a pig, organs of animals (everything inside a pig, a cow and a chicken), deep fried baby pigeon, chicken legs, a bird's head, a fish's head, blood (usually pig's blood), frogs and snakes. My brother once swollowed an uncooked gall bladder of a snake. I also eat raw oysters and sashimi (Japanese food, mainly uncooked seafood). I really find sushi with a big piece of wasabi inside disgusting. I usually lose courage eating sushi with big piece of wasabi inside.

Last edited:
Originally posted by dduardo
You guys should look into signing up for an American television show called Fear Factor. They have the contestants eat stuff like bugs, brains, testacles, uterus, spoiled eggs, cow tungue, eyeballs, etc.

yuck
I also eat eyeballs, cow tongue, brains and testacles.

Originally posted by kawikdx225
I was enjoing dinner at a Korean BBQ in Seoul when I asked "So what kind of meat is this anyway" The other service engineer(Korean) replied "I think it's dog"

When I asked what kind of dog he said "brown dog"

I think eating dog in some countries is illegal.

How'd you like to munch away on these:

http://www.usapeec.ru/images/c1_23.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]
If you have a chance eating in a Chinese restaurant, I would recommend you to try chicken leg. There are severals ways cooking chicken leg in Chinese restaruants. Chicken leg is one of my favourite dim-sums.

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandmother was from England, so steak and kidney pie was a treat.

I love liver with bacon and onions! I have converted a lot of people who swore they would never eat liver.

Originally posted by KLscilevothma
If you have a chance eating in a Chinese restaurant, I would recommend you to try chicken leg. There are severals ways cooking chicken leg in Chinese restaruants. Chicken leg is one of my favourite dim-sums.

Yes, they are very very good. Don't let the look fool you, is very good Dim Sun(Cantonese word for "Morning Snacks" or "Breakfast.")

Chinese don't cook weird stuff, you just never seen them before, but when you taste them, is very good... Trust our civilization, 5000 years of history, much longer than most other modern countrys.

BTW, try "Xiao Long Bao"(Little Dumpling looking with pork Meat) while you are at a Chinese restaurant too(Not a buffett, I'm talking about a real restaurant.)

Last edited:
Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Yes, they are very very good. Don't let the look fool you, is very good Dim Sun(Cantonese word for "Morning Snacks" or "Breakfast.")
Yeah, Cantonese like Yum Cha (Yum Cha means drink tea). They usually Yum Cha in the morning, meaning going to a restuarant to have dim sum and drink tea.

Chinese don't cook weird stuff, you just never seen them before, but when you taste them, is very good... Trust our civilization, 5000 years of history, much longer than most other modern countrys.

BTW, try "Xiao Long Bao"(Little Dumpling looking with pork Meat) while you are at a Chinese restaurant too(Not a buffett, I'm talking about a real restaurant.)
Well, try as many "dim sum" as you can when you go to a Chinese restaurant! They all taste good.

YUMMMMMMM, I like Xiao Long Bao, expecially the one with soap inside!

By the way, Prudens, have you been to China ?

Yeah, Cantonese like Yum Cha (Yum Cha means drink tea). They usually Yum Cha in the morning, meaning going to a restuarant to have dim sum and drink tea.

Well, try as many "dim sum" as you can when you go to a Chinese restaurant! They all taste good.

YUMMMMMMM, I like Xiao Long Bao, expecially the one with soap inside!

By the way, Prudens, have you been to China ?

Soap?? Juicy you mean?

I am Chinese, I was born in China, and raised in China for 7 years.

Where in China?

Soap?? Juicy you mean?
I mean soup, a spelling mistake.

Where in China?

I mean soup, a spelling mistake.

Jiangxi.

Our experience pales in comparison to this http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6745540%5E13762,00.html [Broken]

End of story. Ouch.

Our experience pales in comparison to this http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6745540%5E13762,00.html [Broken]

End of story. Ouch.
Oh, dear.:frown:

Originally posted by Tsunami
Oh, dear.:frown:

And he was listed in stable condition..

And he was listed in stable condition..
Yes, well..maybe physically... :wink:

Jeez, I can't even imagine what it might be like for him in the future - trying to live with the knowledge of what he did. Yikes...:frown:

He'll have an interesting story to tell his future grandkids.

I wonder if they're able to reattach it.

He'll have an interesting story to tell his future grandkids.
and he will be getting those...how??

I wonder if they're able to reattach it.
That'll probably be an extremely difficult procedure (since it was fried and eaten!) don't you think?

and he will be getting those...how??

They'll have to reverse the procedure. He'll be on the receiving end

That'll probably be an extremely difficult procedure (since it was fried and eaten!) don't you think?

Forgot that one, that'll require major work.

They'll have to reverse the procedure. He'll be on the receiving end

Forgot that one, that'll require major work.
Those pesky details...