Please explain this Kinematic Problem.

In summary, the problem involves accelerating at 1.5 m/s2 for 4.0 seconds, coasting for 8.0 seconds, and then decelerating to a standstill in 4.0 seconds. V-T diagrams can be helpful in solving these types of problems. The problem can be divided into three steps: accelerating, coasting, and decelerating. V-T graphs represent the original information from which the equations of motion are derived.
vpa021
How far do you travel if, starting from rest, you accelerate at 1.5 m/s2 for
4.0 s, then coast for 8.0 seconds, then decelerate to a standstill in 4.0 s?

I am totally confused about the fact you accelerate and then coast, and then slow down. We have 3-t's in this problem and don't know what formula to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
you probably want to divide the problem into these three stages. I find V-T diagrams helpful in these problems

wukunlin said:
you probably want to divide the problem into these three stages. I find V-T diagrams helpful in these problems

What are V-T diagrams?

Think of it like this:
The first part, you are accelerating at 1.5m/s (per second), therefore, after 4s you will be at v=??. Then the next part, you are coasting, therefore, not accelerating.

iRaid said:
Think of it like this:
The first part, you are accelerating at 1.5m/s (per second), therefore, after 4s you will be at v=??. Then the next part, you are coasting, therefore, not accelerating.

So basically, I should just brake the question up into 3 steps?

sorry I mean velocity vs. Time diagrams, with area under the graph representing your displacement. You will need to use kinematics equation to find your peak velocity

OK. I will try to work this out the way you told me to.

Just look at it as three separate problems. First you travel distance when accelerating (constant acceleration,) then when you coast (constant velocity,) and then when you decelerate.

The first you are given that you start from rest and accelerate at 1.5m/s^2 for 4 seconds. Using the derived expression for displacement in terms of what you are given:
ΔD = v_i*t + 0.5*a*t^2 (v_i = velocity initial = 0) = 0.5*1.5m/s^2*(4s)^2 = 12m

Next you are given that you coast for 8.0s. This is simply given by:
ΔD = v_f*t (v_f = velocity final of last part)

Where v_f = v_i + at = 0 + 1.5m/s^2*4.0s = 6.0m/s

So
ΔD = 6.0m/s*8.0s = 48m

For the last part you are given that you come to a stop in 4.0s. A short cut here is to pickout that this is the same amount of time that was taken to reach v_f. With constant deceleration, then, you know the same distance is taken as was when starting out, 12m.

But to find it anyway, you have current velocity as 6.0m/s. The acceleration (in other direction) required for that to reach zero in 4.0s can be taken from v_f = v_i + at where v_f = 0m/s, v_i = 6.0m/s, and t = 4.0s. So 0 = 6.0m/s + a*4.0s => a = -1.5m/s^2. Which is expected as it is the same in magnitude as the beginning acceleration. So to get displacement:
ΔD = v_i*t + 0.5at^2 = 6m/s*4.0s - 0.5*1.5m/s^2*(4s) = 12m

Which is as said, the same as the displacement for part one. So total displacement is:
D = 12m + 48m + 12m = 72m

thank you sefrez.

Last edited:
I did that because at first you are accelerating for 4 seconds. The next part you are coasting for 8 seconds. Your velocity is constant here.

Edit, I see you edited your post. You must have figured out. If I had waited a few more seconds lol.

Sefrez said:
I did that because at first you are accelerating for 4 seconds. The next part you are coasting for 8 seconds. Your velocity is constant here.

Edit, I see you edited your post. You must have figured out. If I had waited a few more seconds lol.

Yes... lol i figured it out :).
You can be sure you will be seeing me very often on this forum.

vpa021 said:
What are V-T diagrams?

V-T graphs represent, what historians would call, the "primary source", (the original information) from which the 5 equations of motion are derived. Well four are derived from a V-T graph and the other is a mathematical manipulation of a couple of them.

Related to Please explain this Kinematic Problem.

What is a kinematic problem?

A kinematic problem is a type of physics problem that involves the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over a given period of time.

What are the basic equations used to solve kinematic problems?

The basic equations used to solve kinematic problems are:

• Position (x) = Initial position (x0) + Velocity (v) x Time (t)
  • Final velocity (v) = Initial velocity (v0) + Acceleration (a) x Time (t)
  • Final position (x) = Initial position (x0) + Initial velocity (v0) x Time (t) + 1/2 x Acceleration (a) x Time (t)^2
  • Final velocity (v)^2 = Initial velocity (v0)^2 + 2 x Acceleration (a) x Change in position (Δx)
  • Change in position (Δx) = 1/2 x (Initial velocity (v0) + Final velocity (v)) x Time (t)

What are the key principles to keep in mind when solving kinematic problems?

The key principles to keep in mind when solving kinematic problems are:

• Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time.
  • Velocity is the rate of change of position over time.
  • Displacement is the change in position of an object.
  • Time is the duration of the motion.
  • Objects in motion follow the laws of physics, such as the law of inertia and the law of action and reaction.

What are some common types of kinematic problems?

Some common types of kinematic problems include:

• Projectile motion: Involves the motion of an object launched into the air and moving under the influence of gravity.
  • Uniform circular motion: Involves the motion of an object moving at a constant speed in a circular path.
  • Relative motion: Involves the motion of one object with respect to another object.
  • Collisions: Involves the interaction of two or more objects that result in a change in their motion.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for kinematic problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for kinematic problems, you can:

• Familiarize yourself with the basic equations and principles of kinematics.
  • Practice solving different types of kinematic problems.
  • Break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts.
  • Draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.
  • Check your answers and make sure they are reasonable.
  • Seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling.