Please determine the directions of currents

• Thread starter Parad0x88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary: The power dissipated in the 4.5 Ohm resistor is 3.6 watts, and the equivalent resistance is therefore 4.5 ohms.
Parad0x88

Homework Statement

What is the current in the 18 Ohm resistor in the figure below? What is the current in the 12 Ohm resistor? Please determine the directions of currents as well. What is the power dissipated in the 4.5 Ohm resistor? What is the equivalent resistance of the circuit shown (meaning between points A and B?

My only question is the one in the title, that I have put in bold. The rest I am fair fairly confident of.

The drawing:

Homework Equations

I can't really find much information about the whole matter. Any pointers to the right direction (no pun intended) would be awesome! The only thing I found so far is that current flows through all resistance (obviously) it won't simply opt for the path with the least resistance. I also know that current flows from positive to negative. Would the answer simply be:

Current leaves the positive portion of the battery (longer line), travels along the top line, splits in two at the junction.

1) First part keeps going left, goes down, and when it meets the bottom junction it keeps going straight until it reaches the negative part of the battery
2) Goes down at the top junction, then splits in two at the diagonal junction until it hits the bottom line, then goes to the right towards the negative part of the battery

?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 651
Physics news on Phys.org
Parad0x88 said:

Homework Statement

What is the current in the 18 Ohm resistor in the figure below? What is the current in the 12 Ohm resistor? Please determine the directions of currents as well. What is the power dissipated in the 4.5 Ohm resistor? What is the equivalent resistance of the circuit shown (meaning between points A and B?

My only question is the one in the title, that I have put in bold. The rest I am fair fairly confident of.

The drawing:

Homework Equations

I can't really find much information about the whole matter. Any pointers to the right direction (no pun intended) would be awesome! The only thing I found so far is that current flows through all resistance (obviously) it won't simply opt for the path with the least resistance. I also know that current flows from positive to negative. Would the answer simply be:

Current leaves the positive portion of the battery (longer line), travels along the top line, splits in two at the junction.

1) First part keeps going left, goes down, and when it meets the bottom junction it keeps going straight until it reaches the negative part of the battery
2) Goes down at the top junction, then splits in two at the diagonal junction until it hits the bottom line, then goes to the right towards the negative part of the battery

?

Anyone got any clue? My deadline to submit is today :(

You are correct in stating that conventional current flows from higher potential to lower potential. Your summary of the resulting current directions looks fine.

Related to Please determine the directions of currents

1. What is the purpose of determining the directions of currents?

Determining the directions of currents is important for understanding the flow of water or air in a specific area. This information can be used in various fields such as oceanography, meteorology, and civil engineering.

2. How do scientists determine the directions of currents?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the directions of currents, such as using buoys, drifters, and satellites. They also use mathematical models and computer simulations to analyze data and make predictions.

3. What factors can affect the directions of currents?

The directions of currents can be influenced by various factors, including wind patterns, tides, temperature, salinity, and the shape of the coastline or sea floor. Human activities such as pollution and dredging can also impact the direction of currents.

4. Why is it important to monitor changes in the directions of currents?

Monitoring changes in the directions of currents is crucial for predicting weather patterns, understanding the movement of marine organisms, and determining the impact of human activities on the environment. It can also help in planning for shipping routes and offshore operations.

5. Can the directions of currents change over time?

Yes, the directions of currents can change over time due to natural or human-induced factors. For example, seasonal changes in wind patterns can cause currents to shift, and changes in ocean temperature can affect the direction of deep ocean currents. Human activities such as dam construction or coastal development can also alter the directions of currents.