Playing with math keeps me sharp

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sharp
In summary, the conversation discusses the enjoyment and benefits of "playing" with math, finding patterns and making conjectures. The participants share their own experiences and discoveries in manipulating numbers and equations, including the relationship between odd numbers and squares, and the usefulness of this practice in understanding mathematical concepts. The conversation also mentions resources for number theory puzzles and encourages the OP to continue exploring and discovering in math.
1MileCrash
"Playing" with math keeps me sharp!

I'm pretty new to math, just taking Calc II and a proof class.

But every once in a while, while doing homework, I get obsessed with looking for patterns in math and expressing them. They are usually pointless, and come out to be kind of "duh" in the end, but man, I feel like I can do anything after doing that. It's fun to do.

Maybe one day, I'll come up with something useful. Here is a walkthrough of what I did tonight.

During Physics homework, I got "reminded" of the idea that a square has the most area per perimeter of any rectangle. Ergo, decreasing one side and increasing the other will give a smaller area. So I looked for a pattern there.

10 x 10 = 100
9 x 11 = 99
8 x 12 = 96
7 x 13 = 91
6 x 14 = 84
5 x 15 = 75

The numbers decrease from the next in the pattern of odd numbers, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, (100 - 99 = 1; 99 - 96 = 3; 96 - 91 = 5)

So I looked for a pattern there, by adding up those numbers. For example, 5 x 15 is (1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 = 25) away from 100. After writing all of those:

10 x 10 = 100; 0
9 x 11 = 99; 1
8 x 12 = 96; 4
7 x 13 = 91; 9
6 x 14 = 84; 16
5 x 15 = 75; 25

I quickly realized that those numbers (1, 4, 9, 16) are the difference that either of the terms are from 10, squared. So 8 x 12 is 4 away from 100, and 12 and 8 are 2 away from 10, then square that and you get 4.

So I expanded it to say that those numbers just average to a certain number, in this case 10. So, I then noted that multiplication of two numbers is equal to the average of the two numbers, squared, minus the difference either number is from the average, squared!

Or written out:

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1725/conjecture01.png

Tomorrow I'm going to do something with cubes, AKA ABC.

Do you guys "play" with math in this way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Yes! This can be very fun, and will become useful to help you get a firm intuitive grasp of elementary algebra. (What is the equation "really saying?") It may also be useful for number theory if you plan to continue in math.

Here is something you may find amazing. (I thought it was awesome!) See if you can find an expression for the number of positive divisors of a given positive integer. Hint: the fundamental theorem of arithmetic says we can factor positive integers greater than one into a unique product of primes raised to some powers. What would these exponents have to do with counting the number of divisors for a given number? What properties do the divisors of a number share with that particular number? :D

If you want to check if your expression is right, look up "euler tau function." Also, you would probably enjoy this page as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisor_function which shows you cool tricks for summing the different powers of divisors of a given number. I hope you enjoy your future adventures in math!

This is awesome. I started doing this while I was on medical leave from college. I hadn't done any schoolwork in mathematics for years and I just started playing with numbers, writing them down in different ways and trying to find patters. I came across something while I was staring at the standard factored quadratic (x + a)(x + b) = c and multiplied out x^2 + (b+a)x + ab = c, just started plugging in numbers and for the first time realized that it can be used to calculate the product of any two numbers that hover around a common base. For example, 96 and 103:

(96)*(103) = (100 - 4)*(100 + 3) = 10,000 + (-4 + 3)*(100) + (-12)

= 10,000 - 100 -12 = 9888

Like you say now it seems obvious but for years I'd been manipulating x and y and setting it all equal to zero without thinking that it actually could describe real numbers. Playing around with this let's you multiply two or three digit numbers pretty fast in your head.

Another day I was stuck in traffic and started to look at the difference between perfect squares:

1 - 0 = 1
4 - 1 = 3
9 - 4 = 5
16 - 9 = 7
25 - 16 = 9
36 - 25 = 11

. . . and for the first time I realized that it was just the odd numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11. A bit like your bit but less developed.

Great stuff, glad you reminded me!

You both discovered a related theorem:
The sum of the first n odd numbers always yields the square number n2.

There is a wonderful, intuitive explanation for this which you can read here.

If you are interested in number theory puzzles have a look at http://nrich.maths.org/public/
Some puzzles:
Number Rules - OK
Number Tracks

Amazing ;] Sometimes I like to proove some theory or equation with as little maths as possible. As if going back in time and trying to "feel" how some equations were derived for the first time hundreds of years ago.

Edgardo said:
You both discovered a related theorem:
The sum of the first n odd numbers always yields the square number n2.

There is a wonderful, intuitive explanation for this which you can read here.

If you are interested in number theory puzzles have a look at http://nrich.maths.org/public/
Some puzzles:
Number Rules - OK
Number Tracks

Great! thanks for this.

OP, when I read the title I was going to come in and make fun at you but that is some neat stuff, I just want to say props and keep it up. Definitely have a good eye and a nice ability to see numbers in your head.

Related to Playing with math keeps me sharp

1. How does playing with math help keep me sharp?

Playing with math involves using critical thinking skills and problem-solving strategies, which can help to keep your mind sharp. It also exercises your brain and helps to improve cognitive function.

2. What types of activities count as playing with math?

There are many activities that can be considered playing with math, such as solving puzzles, playing math-based games, and even doing mental math exercises. Essentially, any activity that involves using math skills in a fun and engaging way can be considered playing with math.

3. Can playing with math be beneficial for all ages?

Yes, playing with math can be beneficial for people of all ages. It can help young children develop their math skills and encourage a love for math, while also providing mental stimulation for adults and seniors.

4. How often should I engage in activities that involve playing with math?

It is recommended to engage in activities that involve playing with math regularly, at least a few times a week. This will help to keep your mind sharp and improve your math skills over time.

5. Are there any other benefits of playing with math besides keeping my mind sharp?

Yes, playing with math can also help to improve your problem-solving skills, boost your confidence in math, and even reduce stress and anxiety. It can also make learning math more enjoyable and engaging.