Optimizing Average Cost: Understanding Marginal Analysis in Economics

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in a calculus textbook regarding marginal analysis. Part A asks to show that a given function is concave down if a positive constant is greater than 1. Part B asks to find the value of q that minimizes average cost under certain conditions. The individual has no questions about Part A, but has trouble understanding how to arrive at the book's answer for Part B. They attempt to work backwards from the answer but are unable to isolate q. They also question the use of intervals in finding average cost and whether the book's solution is correct.
Zorodius
This is a problem from a section on marginal analysis in a calculus textbook I have been studying. I can't ask the instructor, since I don't have one, I'm just studying this for my benefit.

The problem is as follows:

A firm's costs are given by:

[tex]C(q) = Kq^{1/a} + F[/tex]

Where a is a positive constant, F is the fixed cost, and K is the technology available to the firm.

Part A: Show that C is concave down if a > 1.

Part B: Assuming that a < 1 and that average cost is minimized when average cost equals marginal cost, find what value of q minimizes the average cost.

I have no questions about part A (I take the second derivative of C with respect to q, and the result seems to make it obvious that the curve would open downward.) My questions are about part B. The book's answer is:

q = [Fa/(K(1-a))]^a

I don't understand how they arrived at that answer. Moreover, I don't understand how it would be physically possible to have F as a factor in the answer, since I was under the impression that average cost was something along the lines of C(q + 1) - C(q), which would cause the F's to cancel out, and that taking the derivative of C(q) would also cause the F's to disappear, since the derivative of a constant is zero.

I tried working backwards from their answer, and got to:

[tex]\frac{K}{a}q^{1/a} = F + Kq^{1/a}[/tex]
The right hand side is the original function, and the left hand side is what the derivative of C(q) would be if you forgot to subtract one from the exponent when using the power rule.

Could someone explain how to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see how it is that by working backwards, you got what you got:

[tex] q = {\left [ \frac {Fa}{K(1 - a)} \right ]}^a[/tex]
[tex]\frac{K}{a}q^{\frac{1}{a}} = \frac{F}{1-a}[/tex]

Now, I would think average cost would be found by integrating the function over some interval, and dividing by the length of the interval, giving you the average over that interval, but there is no given interval, so I might assume that average cost simply refers to C(q). Marginal cost I would assume refers to C'(q). So, it looks like you're trying to find [itex]q_{min}[/itex] satisfying the equation:

[tex]C(q_{min}) = C'(q_{min})[/tex]
[tex]K{(q_{min})}^{\frac{1}{a}} + F = \frac{K}{a}{(q_{min})}^{\frac{1}{a} - 1}[/tex]

I can tell you, I can't see how I'd go about isolating q.

AKG said:
I can't see how it is that by working backwards, you got what you got:
Starting from the book's answer:
[tex]q = [\frac {Fa} {K(1-a)}]^a[/tex]
[tex]q^{1/a} = \frac {Fa} {K(1-a)}[/tex]
[tex]q^{1/a} - aq^{1/a} = \frac {Fa}{K}[/tex]
[tex]q^{1/a} = \frac{Fa}{K} + aq^{1/a}[/tex]
[tex]Kq^{1/a} = Fa + Kaq^{1/a}[/tex]

thus,

[tex]\frac {K}{a}q^{1/a} = F + Kq^{1/a}[/tex]

AKG said:
Now, I would think average cost would be found by integrating the function over some interval, and dividing by the length of the interval, giving you the average over that interval,
I agree, but this section is prior to the first section on integration, and they use no integrals in the material up to this point, so I assume that average cost either refers to C(Q), as you said, or to some variation on that.

AKG said:
I can tell you, I can't see how I'd go about isolating q.
Me either :yuck:

Anyone? Did they just screw up this question, or is there a way of correctly solving it to arrive at their answer?

1. What is marginal analysis problem?

The marginal analysis problem is a method used in economics to determine the optimal level of production or consumption. It involves comparing the additional costs and benefits of producing or consuming one more unit of a product or service.

2. How is marginal analysis problem used in decision-making?

Marginal analysis problem is used to make informed decisions by weighing the additional costs and benefits of a decision. It helps individuals or businesses determine if the benefits of producing or consuming one more unit outweigh the costs.

3. What are the key components of marginal analysis problem?

The key components of marginal analysis problem are marginal cost and marginal benefit. Marginal cost is the additional cost incurred by producing or consuming one more unit, while marginal benefit is the additional benefit gained from producing or consuming one more unit.

4. What are the limitations of marginal analysis problem?

The limitations of marginal analysis problem include the assumption of ceteris paribus (all other factors remaining constant), which may not always hold true in real-world situations. It also does not take into account non-monetary factors, such as environmental or social impacts.

5. Can marginal analysis problem be applied to all types of decisions?

Yes, marginal analysis problem can be applied to a wide range of decisions, including personal, business, and government decisions. It is particularly useful in decisions involving production and consumption, but may not be appropriate for decisions involving long-term investments or strategic planning.