Plasticity Q for complex structures

In summary, the conversation is about finding shape factors for both the T and square pieces, with the person asking for help on how to start the question due to missing the relevant equations from a missed lecture. Another person responds by mentioning the ratio of the plastic section modulus to the elastic section modulus and suggests finding the equal area axis and taking the first moment of area about that axis. They also encourage the person to post their attempt for better help.
P111ltl

Homework Statement

I have attached a jpeg of the question invloved. Involving finding shap factors for both the T and the sqaure piece.

Homework Equations

Due to illness i missed the lecture for this topic and as such i am missing the relevant equations on how to attempt this. If osmeone knows how to start to attempt this i would much appreciate it.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far i don't know how to start the question,

Homework Statement

Attachments

• question pf.jpg
    question pf.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
Third time lucky i hope

Attachments

• question pf.png
    question pf.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 364
You need the ratio of the plastic section modulus to the elastic section modulus. For the plastic section modulus, you should be able to find the equal area axis, and then take the first moment of area about that axis, paying no attention to sign. Try posting your attempt for better help.

Related to Plasticity Q for complex structures

1. What is plasticity in regards to complex structures?

Plasticity in complex structures refers to the ability of a material or system to deform and change shape under applied external forces, while still maintaining its structural integrity.

2. How does plasticity affect the strength of complex structures?

Plasticity can both increase and decrease the strength of complex structures, depending on the material and the level of plastic deformation. In some cases, plasticity can improve the strength and ductility of a structure, while in others it can cause failure or collapse.

3. What factors influence the plasticity of complex structures?

The plasticity of complex structures is influenced by several factors, including the type of material, its microstructure, environmental conditions, and the magnitude and direction of applied forces.

4. Can plasticity be controlled or managed in complex structures?

Yes, plasticity can be controlled and managed in complex structures through proper design and selection of materials. Techniques such as strengthening, stiffening, and using more ductile materials can help mitigate the effects of plastic deformation.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of plasticity in complex structures?

The potential drawbacks of plasticity in complex structures include reduced stiffness and stability, increased susceptibility to fatigue and failure, and difficulty in predicting and analyzing the behavior of the structure under varying loads and conditions.