Plasma Pinch Fusion as a Neutron Source: Questions

In summary, the conversation revolves around the article discussing the potential of Focus Fusion as a cheap and clean source of fusion power. The speaker expresses interest in creating a smaller version of the setup to generate neutrons for experimentation, and asks questions regarding the setup of electrodes, calculation of energy of ion streams, and direction of neutron ejection. They also mention having a 9Kj capacitor bank and suggest waiting for a year until the claims of the lab in New Jersey are realized. However, they also caution that the scientific papers and advertisement do not provide any solid evidence for the claim of fusion energy within a year.
Warpspeed13
Ok so I recently read this article (http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...on-power-been-right-under-our-noses-all-along). This gave me a few ideas and a few questions. I would like to create a smaller version of this setup to fuse deuterium into He-3 to generate neutrons for experimentation. So here are my questions. (For clarification my goal is not to create a fusion reactor that breaks even, I want to generate neutrons through the use of Dense Plasma Focus.)

1: the setup of the electrodes looks very simple is there anything more complicated to the center electrodes design other than ensuring that it will break the arc so that the plasma focus forms?

2: How would I go about calculating the energy of the partials in the ejected ion streams?

3:Will the neutrons be ejected in the direction of the ion streams or will they go flying all over the place?

4: And last but not least I have a 9Kj capacitor bank I could use for this, will it suffice in the small scale or will it be insufficient.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you to wait a year until they realize their claim:

"... there’s a small lab in New Jersey that says it can produce fusion power within a year, with a total spend of just a few million dollars ..."

In the link below, starting page 28, you will see their request for taxpayer dollars, as well as their papers:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/pcast_public_comments_may_2012.pdf

As it should be expected, these scientific papers do not support their claim of fusion energy within one year.
Their advertisement on indiegogo also comes short of proving their claim.
I could find nowhere any justification of their extraordinary claim.

Anyway, I hope you will find some useful information in their papers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Plasma Pinch Fusion as a Neutron Source: Questions

1. What is Plasma Pinch Fusion?

Plasma Pinch Fusion is a type of nuclear fusion reaction that involves compressing and heating plasma to extremely high temperatures and pressures in order to initiate a fusion reaction between atomic nuclei.

2. How does Plasma Pinch Fusion work as a neutron source?

Plasma Pinch Fusion produces neutrons as a byproduct of the fusion reaction between atomic nuclei. These neutrons can be used for various applications, such as materials testing and medical imaging.

3. What makes Plasma Pinch Fusion a promising neutron source?

Plasma Pinch Fusion has the potential to produce large numbers of neutrons with high energy and short pulse durations, making it a promising candidate for various scientific and industrial applications.

4. How is Plasma Pinch Fusion different from other fusion reactions?

Plasma Pinch Fusion uses a different method of heating and compressing the plasma compared to other fusion reactions, such as tokamak or laser fusion. It also has the ability to produce a more intense burst of neutrons in a shorter amount of time.

5. What are the challenges in using Plasma Pinch Fusion as a neutron source?

One of the main challenges is achieving the necessary high temperatures and pressures to initiate the fusion reaction. Additionally, controlling and containing the plasma can be difficult, and there are also safety concerns associated with handling high-energy neutrons.