Plasma Ball: How Does It Work?

In summary, a plasma ball works by having a large enough electrical potential difference between two points, causing a current to flow through the gas inside. The presence of a finger can change the potential at a specific point on the surface, causing the sparks to follow it. The power consumption for a plasma ball depends on various physical factors. The term "plasma" was coined by Irving Langmuir in the 1920s while studying mercury-vapor discharges, and its first published use was in 1928.
Suicidal
Can someone please explain to me how a plasma ball works? I think I kind of get it. I get that the current flows through the gas inside of the ball because there is a large enough electrical potential difference between the two points. I'm not sure why the sparks follow you finger around the surface, but I suspect this is due to you fingers presence changing the potential at that point in space.

I'm also interested in how large is the power consumption for one of these things and what physical factors it depends on.
:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it called "plasma?" Is it the type that is in the plasma tv, or is it just exited gas, but not quite plasma?

Why is it called "plasma?"

During the 1920's Irving Langmuir was studying various types of mercury-vapor discharges, and he noticed similarities in their structure - near the boundaries as well as in the main body of the discharge. While the region immediately adjacent to a wall or electrode was already called a "sheath," there was no name for the quasi-neutral stuff filling most of the discharge space. He decided to call it "plasma."
Nobody know why he called this name but maybe when he worked with anther person was sutdying about blood plasma at the General Electric Research Laboratory,he called this name.

In any case, it appears that the first published use of the term was in Langmuir's "Oscillations in Ionized Gases," published in 1928 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences

Related to Plasma Ball: How Does It Work?

1. How does a plasma ball create lightning-like effects?

A plasma ball works by creating an electric current that travels through a gas-filled glass sphere. The gas inside the sphere is usually a mixture of neon, argon, and xenon, which are all noble gases. When the electric current passes through the gas, it ionizes the gas particles, causing them to release energy in the form of light. This creates the lightning-like effects that we see in a plasma ball.

2. What is the role of the glass sphere in a plasma ball?

The glass sphere in a plasma ball is filled with a gas mixture and acts as an insulator. It allows the electric current to flow through the gas without escaping, creating a contained environment for the plasma to form. The glass sphere also helps to shape the electric field and control the movement of the plasma filaments.

3. How does the plasma ball respond to touch?

When a person touches the glass sphere of a plasma ball, their body acts as a conductor for the electric current. The electric field in the plasma ball is attracted to the person's touch, creating a path for the current to flow through. This results in the plasma filaments moving towards the point of contact, giving the appearance of "lightning" following the person's touch.

4. Can a plasma ball be harmful to touch or use?

No, a plasma ball is generally safe to touch and use. The electric currents and fields inside the plasma ball are low power and not strong enough to cause harm to humans. However, it is always important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid any potential hazards, such as broken glass or exposed wires.

5. How does the color of the plasma ball's filaments change?

The color of the plasma filaments in a plasma ball can change due to a few factors. The gas mixture inside the glass sphere can affect the color, as different gases emit different colors of light when ionized. The amount of power supplied to the plasma ball can also affect the color, as a higher voltage can create a brighter and more colorful display. Additionally, the shape and design of the glass sphere can also impact the color and shape of the plasma filaments.