Plank and two supports using torque

• Thread starter coldsteel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary: If the man's mass was doubled, the force by the left support would remain the same, but the force by the right support would increase by 50%.
coldsteel
A man with a mass of 100kg is standing on a uniform plank of mass 50kg. The man is standing directly above the right support and the left support is located at the left end of the plank. The right support is 2m from the right end. the plank is 60m long. What is the magnitude of force the left support applies to the plank, the magnitude of force the right support applies, and if the man's mass was doubled the force by the left support would remain the same, increase or decreas?
Equations: Tnet=0
Fnet=0

I tried solving the force by the left support...I set the pivot point on the right support. I got the distance of the man from the pivot point is 0. the beam is 6m long so the center mass is mg(1/2* 6) my equation is tnet=0 I get 100(9.8)(0m)+50(9.8)(3m)-Force left(4m)=0. I know this isn't right but can somone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight resultant force acts at the cg of the plank, which is not 3 m from the right support.

the 3m is half the length of the board. so should I move my pivot point to the far left support? so the center mass of the plank would be 3m? This is the equation I get: 50(9.8)(3m)-Force left(0m)+100(9.8)(4m)=0 there's nothing to solve with that though

Last edited:
Ahhhh...after struggling for 2 hours and wearing down my eraser...I think I may have solved this. take a look at what I did and let me know if its finally right.

these are the equations I used. I had 2 unknown so I set the pivot point on the left support to =0.
1.) 50kg(9.8)(3m)+100(9.8)(4m) - Force right support(4m) = 0 solve this to get Fr=1347.5N.

2.) now that I have the force the right support gives I can use it in the equation fnet=0 to solve for the left support force. FL+FR-mplank(g) - mman(g)=0
FL+1347.5 - 490 - 980 = 0. solve for FL to get 122.5N

Correct?

Yes, for a system in equilibrium, you can sum moments about any point=0, and use also F_net =0, to get the result, which you did.
If you summed moments about the right support, you get the same answer , but you mistakenly took the lever arm of the weight force as 3 m when you tried it that way, when you should have used 1 m as that distance. Then , summing moments about the right support, your equation should have read

100(9.8)(0 m)+50(9.8)(1 m ) - Force_left(4 m)=0, from which
Force_left = 122.5 N, same result. It is always a good idea, however, to sum moments = 0 about both supports independently, and use F_net = 0, to check your work to be sure you didn't make a math or other error.

Now you should answer the last question, if you so choose, "...if the man's mass was doubled the force by the left support would remain the same, increase or decrease"?

Related to Plank and two supports using torque

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis to the point where the force is applied.

2. How does torque affect a plank supported by two supports?

If a plank is supported by two supports, the weight of the plank creates a force that applies torque to the supports. The supports must be strong enough to withstand this torque and keep the plank stable.

3. How do I calculate the torque on a plank supported by two supports?

To calculate the torque on a plank supported by two supports, you will need to know the weight of the plank and the distance between the supports. Multiply the weight of the plank by half of the distance between the supports to find the torque on each support.

4. How do I ensure the stability of a plank supported by two supports?

To ensure the stability of a plank supported by two supports, you must make sure that the torque applied to each support is equal. This can be achieved by evenly distributing the weight of the plank between the two supports, or by adjusting the distance between the supports.

5. Can I use torque to lift heavy objects with a plank and two supports?

Yes, torque can be used to lift heavy objects with a plank and two supports. By increasing the distance between the supports, the torque applied to each support will decrease, making it easier to lift heavier objects. However, it is important to ensure that the supports are strong enough to handle the increased torque.