Planet X Gravitation Question

In summary: What equation can you use to find the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of a celestial body?In summary, the conversation is discussing the hypothetical planet X and its two spherical moons. The table provides data on the moons' mass, radius, and orbit characteristics. The question is asking for the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of one of the moons and the mass of planet X. The equations for gravitational force and acceleration are mentioned as potential solutions.
Yosty22
"Planet X" Gravitation Question

Homework Statement

Planet X is a planet that has two spherical moons in circular orbits. The table summarizes the hypothetical data about the moons. Both moons have low axial spin rates. (G=6.67*10-11 Nm2/kg2).

Moon A: Mass=4.0*1020 kg. Radius - Data not provided. Moon orbit radius (center-to-center=2.0*108. Orbital period=4.0*106 s.

Moon B: Mass=1.5*1020 kg. Radius=2.0*105m. Moon orbit radius (center-to-center)=3.0*108 m. Orbital period - Data not provided.

a). Determine the acceleration due to gravity that you would expect on the surface of Moon B in m/s2.
b). What is the mass of planet X in kg?

Homework Equations

Fg=[tex]\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I have no idea where to even start. For part b, all I could think of doing was to solve for the velocity of moon A in its orbit around Planet X. To do this, I did VA=[tex]\frac{2 \pi R}{T}[/tex] and solved. I got that the velocity of Moon A around Planet X is 314.159 m/s. However, I don't know what to do from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect that this is not the first problem of that type, and you can use known equations for it.
Otherwise, it is possible to calculate it from scratch. Focus on the first moon: which force acts on it? What is required to keep it in a circular orbit?
For part a, I have no idea where to even start.
How are gravitational acceleration and gravitational force related?

Related to Planet X Gravitation Question

1. What is Planet X?

Planet X, also known as the hypothetical ninth planet, is a proposed planet in our solar system that is thought to exist beyond the orbit of Neptune.

2. How is Planet X's gravity different from other planets?

Planet X's gravity is thought to be significantly stronger than that of Earth or any other planet in our solar system, due to its large size and mass.

3. How was Planet X discovered?

Planet X has not yet been discovered, but it was first proposed as a possible explanation for anomalies in the orbits of Neptune and Uranus in the late 19th century.

4. What is the significance of Planet X's gravitational pull?

If Planet X does indeed exist, its gravitational pull could have a significant impact on the orbits of other planets in our solar system and could help explain certain unexplained phenomena in our solar system.

5. Is there evidence to support the existence of Planet X?

There is some evidence, such as the aforementioned anomalies in the orbits of Neptune and Uranus, that supports the existence of Planet X. However, more research and observation is needed to confirm its existence.