Plane Wave, Power Passing Through Copper Sheet

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about correctly calculating power passing through a given area at the surface and concerns about the aim of the problem. The responder suggests double checking calculations and seeking assistance for further clarification.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See other figure attached.

Am I correctly calculating the power that passes through the area given in i) at the surface?

I'm not certain my expressions for,

[tex]\vec{P_{2AV}^{t}}[/tex] are correct for the general case.

Is what I have correct?

EDIT: I feel like the aim of this problem has nothing to do with what my solution attempted to achieve.

Isn't this a simple poynting vector problem that has nothing to do with incident, transmitted and reflected waves?

Attachments

• PL2P1.JPG
    PL2P1.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear poster,

Thank you for your question. From your figures and equations, it appears that you are indeed correctly calculating the power that passes through the given area at the surface. However, without more context or information about the problem, it is difficult to determine if your solution is completely correct. It is always a good idea to double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy.

Regarding your concern about the aim of the problem, it is possible that the problem may have multiple layers or components that require consideration of incident, transmitted, and reflected waves. It is best to carefully read the problem statement and any accompanying information to fully understand the objective of the problem.

If you are still unsure about your solution, I recommend seeking assistance from a colleague or your instructor for further clarification. Good luck with your problem!

Related to Plane Wave, Power Passing Through Copper Sheet

1. What is a plane wave?

A plane wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has a constant amplitude and phase over any plane perpendicular to its direction of propagation. This means that the wave has a uniform intensity and frequency over its entire cross-section.

2. How does a plane wave interact with a copper sheet?

A plane wave can pass through a copper sheet, and its power will be partially transmitted and partially reflected. The amount of power transmitted and reflected depends on the properties of the copper sheet, such as its thickness and conductivity.

3. What happens to the power of a plane wave as it passes through a copper sheet?

The power of a plane wave passing through a copper sheet will decrease due to absorption and reflection. The amount of power absorbed depends on the thickness and conductivity of the copper sheet, while the amount of power reflected depends on the angle of incidence and the properties of the copper sheet.

4. What are the applications of studying plane waves passing through copper sheets?

Studying how plane waves interact with copper sheets is important in the fields of electromagnetics, telecommunications, and material science. It can help in the design of efficient antennas, understanding signal propagation through materials, and developing better conductive materials.

5. How is the power passing through a copper sheet affected by the frequency of the plane wave?

The power passing through a copper sheet is directly proportional to the frequency of the plane wave. This means that as the frequency increases, the power passing through the copper sheet also increases. This is because higher frequencies have shorter wavelengths, allowing them to penetrate through the copper sheet more easily.