Plane wave angle of incidence calculation

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the mathematics of a simple plane wave. The question involves finding the angle of incidence using Snell's law and the propagation vector. However, the problem is complicated because the transmitted wave has its magnetic field pointing only in the y direction, which suggests that it is propagating parallel to the interface. The conversation ends with the participants discussing possible solutions and seeking input from others who may have more expertise in the subject.
quantumguy45
Good afternoon! Please help me figure out the mathematics of this simple plane wave question!

1. Homework Statement
q1.jpg

2. Homework Equations

n1*sin(theta1)=n2*sin(theta2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help calculating the angle of incidence.
I found the propagation vector for incidence: ki=2*pi / lambda0 = 4 um
n1= 1 since we are given lambda0
I have n2 = 1.5
I know Snell's law is n1*sin(theta1)=n2*sin(theta2)
What vital information am I missing to solve this? I feel like its staring me in the face yet I'm unable to grasp it.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming it is a transverse electromagnetic wave with some kind of linear polarization. I'm puzzled as to how the transmitted wave could have its magnetic field pointing only in the y direction perpendicular to the interface. That should mean that the transmitted wave must be propagating parallel to the interface. I'm stuck. Perhaps someone else can give an input. It doesn't look like a simple problem. I question whether the problem may have been misstated, but I could be missing something.

Charles Link said:
I'm assuming it is a transverse electromagnetic wave with some kind of linear polarization. I'm puzzled as to how the transmitted wave could have its magnetic field pointing only in the y direction perpendicular to the interface. That should mean that the transmitted wave must be propagating parallel to the interface. I'm stuck. Perhaps someone else can give an input. It doesn't look like a simple problem. I question whether the problem may have been misstated, but I could be missing something.

I have a question, since I found k_i= 4um, can I just say the propagation vector for the incident wave is (4y+4z) therefore the angle of incidence would be arctan(4/4) = 45 degrees? Using this then:
1*sin 45=1.5 sin*(theta_t)
theta_t= 28 degrees?

quantumguy45 said:
I have a question, since I found k_i= 4um, can I just say the propagation vector for the incident wave is (4y+4z) therefore the angle of incidence would be arctan(4/4) = 45 degrees? Using this then:
1*sin 45=1.5 sin*(theta_t)
theta_t= 28 degrees?
I don't see a solution. Usually the z direction is taken as perpendicular to the interface in optics problems. Perhaps it is a typo, or perhaps I am missing the obvious, but I don't see a solution. @vanhees71 Could you take a look at this please. Am I missing something? I believe it is a flawed problem, but perhaps you can see a solution.

Last edited:
Can I use tanΘi= n2/n1? I'm probably more lost than you are so I'm just looking for a spark to figure this out!

quantumguy45 said:
Can I use tanΘi= n2/n1? I'm probably more lost than you are so I'm just looking for a spark to figure this out!
See my edited post above. I've requested another fellow who has considerable expertise to take a look at it. I'm stuck.

Likes quantumguy45
Just an additional note: Usually problems like this specify the incident and/or transmitted ## \vec{k} ## vector, and they might ask you to solve for the reflected ## \vec{k} ##. They take a little bit of work, but they are interesting problems in vector algebra.

Likes quantumguy45

Related to Plane wave angle of incidence calculation

1. What is the plane wave angle of incidence?

The plane wave angle of incidence is the angle at which a plane wave approaches a boundary between two media. It is measured as the angle between the direction of propagation of the wave and the normal vector to the boundary surface.

2. How is the plane wave angle of incidence calculated?

The plane wave angle of incidence can be calculated using the Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the wave velocities in the two media.

3. What factors affect the plane wave angle of incidence?

The plane wave angle of incidence is affected by the refractive index of the media, the wavelength of the wave, and the angle of refraction. It also depends on the polarization of the wave and the type of boundary between the two media.

4. Why is the calculation of plane wave angle of incidence important in optics?

The calculation of plane wave angle of incidence is important in optics because it helps determine the behavior of light at boundaries between different media. This information is crucial in understanding phenomena such as reflection, refraction, and total internal reflection.

5. Can the plane wave angle of incidence be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the plane wave angle of incidence cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because at this angle, the wave would be parallel to the boundary surface and would not interact with it. The maximum possible angle of incidence is known as the critical angle and is dependent on the refractive indices of the two media.