Plane that is tangent to two curves at an intersection

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach and solve a question about constructing a plane that is tangent to two curves at their point of intersection. The first step is to find a point on the plane, which can be done by finding the values of u and v where the curves intersect. Next, the normal vector of the plane can be found by taking the cross product of the tangent vectors of the curves at the point of intersection.
brunette15
Can someone please help me with how to approach/solve this question? construct a plane that is tangent to both curves at the point of intersection.

1st curve:
x(v)=3
y(v)=4
z(v)=v
0<v<2

2nd curve:
x(u)=3+sin(u)
y(u)=4−u
z(u)=1−u
−1<u<1

My first approach was to find a point of intersection then form the equation of the plane but i am unsure how to make the plane tangent to both curves.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brunette15,

To find the equation of a plane, it suffices to find a point on the plane and a normal to that plane, that is, $a(x-x_0)+b(y-y_0)+c(z-z_0)=0$. As you have surmised, we can find a point on the plane simply by noticing that $4=4-u$ (y-component), so $u=0$. Putting $u$ into one of the equations will give us $(x_0,y_0,z_0)$.

The normal vector is a vector that is orthogonal to both curves at that point. How can we find that?

Last edited:
Rido12 said:
Hi brunette15,

To find the equation of a plane, it suffices to find a point on the plane and a normal to that plane, that is, $a(x-x_0)+b(y-y_0)+c(z-z_0)=0$. As you have surmised, we can find a point on the plane simply by noticing that $4=4-u$ (y-component), so $u=0$. Putting $u$ into one of the equations will give us $(x_0,y_0,z_0)$.

The normal vector is a vector that is orthogonal to both curves at that point. How can we find that?

I am still a bit confused as to how to find the normal vector. I am trying to use the cross product but i don't know which other point to use :/

brunette15 said:
I am still a bit confused as to how to find the normal vector. I am trying to use the cross product but i don't know which other point to use :/

Hi brunette15, (Wave)

Did you find the $u$ and $v$ for which the curves intersect? (Wondering)
As Rido already remarked, it is at $u=0$.

The tangent vector of a curve (x(v), y(v), z(v)) is given by (x'(v), y'(v), z'(v)).
Can you find the tangent vectors of both curves at the intersection point? (Wondering)

The normal vector is the cross product of those 2 vectors.

Related to Plane that is tangent to two curves at an intersection

1. What is a plane tangent to two curves at an intersection?

A plane tangent to two curves at an intersection is a flat surface that touches both curves at the same point, without passing through them.

2. How is the plane tangent to two curves at an intersection determined?

The plane tangent to two curves at an intersection can be determined by finding the point of intersection of the two curves and then finding the slope of the curves at that point. The plane will be perpendicular to this slope and will pass through the point of intersection.

3. What is the significance of a plane tangent to two curves at an intersection?

A plane tangent to two curves at an intersection is significant in calculus and geometry as it helps us understand the behavior of curves at a specific point. It also allows us to calculate the rate of change of the curves at that point.

4. Can there be more than one plane tangent to two curves at an intersection?

Yes, there can be more than one plane tangent to two curves at an intersection. This can happen when the curves intersect at more than one point or when the curves are parallel at the point of intersection.

5. How is the equation of a plane tangent to two curves at an intersection determined?

The equation of a plane tangent to two curves at an intersection can be determined using the point-slope form of a line. The point of intersection serves as the point on the line, and the slope of the curves at that point serves as the slope of the line. This equation can then be converted into the general form of a plane equation.