Plane in a vertical loop and gravity

In summary, a plane making a vertical loop at just the right speed will cause the pilot to experience no force from their seat or safety belts at the highest point. The weight of the pilot in comparison to the airplane and the feeling of gravity experienced by the pilot are unclear and may depend on the reference frame. The equation for acceleration in circular motion may be useful in solving this problem.
Karol

Homework Statement

A plane makes a vertical loop like in the drawing. the speed is exactly what is needed that at the highest point the pilot won't feel any force nor from the seat and nor from the safety belts.
1) what is the weight of the pilot in comparison to the airplane?
2) what gravity feeling has the pilot?

Homework Equations

Acceleration in circular motion: ##a_r=\frac{V^2}{R}##

The Attempt at a Solution

1) the pilot's weight can be anything, even very heavy in comparison to the plane, i don't understand the question.
2) the pilot feels only g, so he is in free fall, like astronauts. but what does he feel? nothing? when i fall i feel sick

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So what is the question I can help with ? Because I agree with you on both counts, I feel pretty helpless in helping out...:smile:

Likes 1 person
Do they mean the weight of the pilot/aircraft on the ground or the apparent weight or both at the top of the loop?

Related to Plane in a vertical loop and gravity

1. How does gravity affect a plane in a vertical loop?

Gravity is a fundamental force that acts on all objects in the universe. In the case of a plane in a vertical loop, gravity acts as a downward force that pulls the plane towards the center of the loop. This force helps to keep the plane in motion and maintain its circular path.

2. What is the role of centripetal force in a plane's vertical loop?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In the case of a plane in a vertical loop, centripetal force is provided by the lift force of the wings. As the plane moves through the loop, the wings generate lift to counteract the downward pull of gravity and keep the plane moving in a circular path.

3. Can a plane in a vertical loop experience weightlessness?

Yes, a plane in a vertical loop can experience weightlessness at the top of the loop. This is because at this point, the lift force is equal to the downward force of gravity, resulting in a net force of zero. Without a net force acting on the plane, it will be in a state of free fall and passengers will experience a brief moment of weightlessness.

4. What happens if a plane does not have enough speed in a vertical loop?

If a plane does not have enough speed in a vertical loop, it will not be able to generate enough lift to counteract the force of gravity. This will cause the plane to lose altitude and potentially crash. It is important for pilots to properly calculate and maintain the necessary speed for a safe vertical loop maneuver.

5. How does the angle of the plane's wings affect its performance in a vertical loop?

The angle of the plane's wings, also known as the angle of attack, plays a crucial role in its performance in a vertical loop. A steeper angle of attack will generate more lift, allowing the plane to maintain a tighter loop. However, if the angle is too steep, it can also cause the plane to stall and lose lift, resulting in a potential crash. Pilots must carefully manage the angle of attack to maintain a safe and successful vertical loop.