Planck's Law: Low, and High Frequency Limit

In summary: So basically, at low frequencies, the exponent in the equation for ## u(f) ## is very large, and so the function becomes 1. But at high frequencies, the exponent is smaller, and so the function becomes something different. Is that what you're saying? In summary, at low frequencies, the function is 1, and at high frequencies, the function is something different.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

a) Derive the Rayleigh-Jeans distribution by taking the low-frequency limit of Planck's distribution.

b) Derive the Wien distribution by taking the high-frequency limit of Planck's Distribution.

Homework Equations

## u(f) = \frac {8 \pi f^2} {c^3} \frac {hf} {e^{\frac {hf} {k T}}-1} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my issue with this problem rather comes from a lack of understanding of what low-frequency, and high-frequency limit means. I read it as, see what happens to the function as the frequency goes very high/low.

So when I do the low-frequency limit, I would imagine, the kT in the exponential would be much larger than hf, therefore making the ## e^{\frac {hf} {kT}} ## go to 1, and the whole equation of the form ## \frac 0 0 ## which is not okay.

When I take a high-frequency limit, I imagine the opposite happens, and we get another indeterminant form of ## \frac {\infty} {\infty} ##.

The book seems to be doing something like taylor expanding ## e^x = 1 + x + ... ## then the negative one in the denominator cancels out, but they still never take a LIMIT as the name low frequency limit implies I should be doing.

Yet for some reason, at high frequency limit, all they do is ignore the 1 in the denominator. I still don't understand why they aren't taking a limit.

I'm just very confused on what the idea is of taking these different limits.

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

a) Derive the Rayleigh-Jeans distribution by taking the low-frequency limit of Planck's distribution.

b) Derive the Wien distribution by taking the high-frequency limit of Planck's Distribution.

Homework Equations

## u(f) = \frac {8 \pi f^2} {c^3} \frac {hf} {e^{\frac {hf} {k T}}-1} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my issue with this problem rather comes from a lack of understanding of what low-frequency, and high-frequency limit means. I read it as, see what happens to the function as the frequency goes very high/low.

So when I do the low-frequency limit, I would imagine, the kT in the exponential would be much larger than hf, therefore making the ## e^{\frac {hf} {kT}} ## go to 1, and the whole equation of the form ## \frac 0 0 ## which is not okay.

When I take a high-frequency limit, I imagine the opposite happens, and we get another indeterminant form of ## \frac {\infty} {\infty} ##.

The book seems to be doing something like taylor expanding ## e^x = 1 + x + ... ## then the negative one in the denominator cancels out, but they still never take a LIMIT as the name low frequency limit implies I should be doing.

Yet for some reason, at high frequency limit, all they do is ignore the 1 in the denominator. I still don't understand why they aren't taking a limit.

I'm just very confused on what the idea is of taking these different limits.
The word "limit" is loosely used in this context. What they want you to do is show the behavior of the Planck function at low frequencies and also at high frequencies. They don't actually want a "limit" as f goes to zero or f goes to infinity. Incidentally, the Rayleigh-Jeans distribution works well (fitting experimental data) at low frequencies (e.g. in the mid and far infrared) and the Wien distribution at high frequencies (e.g. in the visible and ultra-violet), but it wasn't until Max Planck came along that a proposed theoretical blackbody energy distribution function agreed throughout the entire spectrum with the experimental results. Note also that the Planck function was the first blackbody curve to also give the result ## M=\sigma T^4 ## upon integrating it across the entire spectrum. The Planck function is believed to be the correct theoretical expression for the blackbody spectrum, giving results with extremely precise agreement to experimental measurements.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
The word "limit" is loosely used in this context. What they want you to do is show the behavior of the Planck function at low frequencies and also at high frequencies. They don't actually want a "limit" as f goes to zero or f goes to infinity. Incidentally, the Rayleigh-Jeans distribution works well (fitting experimental data) at low frequencies (e.g. in the mid and far infrared) and the Wien distribution at high frequencies (e.g. in the visible and ultra-violet), but it wasn't until Max Planck came along that a proposed theoretical blackbody energy distribution function agreed throughout the entire spectrum with the experimental results. Note also that the Planck function was the first blackbody curve to also give the result ## M=\sigma T^4 ## upon integrating it across the entire spectrum. The Planck function is believed to be the correct theoretical expression for the blackbody spectrum, giving results with extremely precise agreement to experimental measurements.

Okay I think I understand the low frequency limit, because they only take into account the exponential functions at small values of it's taylor expansion, because the expansion only goes up to the first x term.

But, what is the significance of the high frequency limit? Why can we just ignore the minus 1 next to the exponential in the denominator, and how does this simplify into Wien's Distribution? I don't see it at all.

RyanTAsher said:
Okay I think I understand the low frequency limit, because they only take into account the exponential functions at small values of it's taylor expansion, because the expansion only goes up to the first x term.

But, what is the significance of the high frequency limit? Why can we just ignore the minus 1 next to the exponential in the denominator, and how does this simplify into Wien's Distribution? I don't see it at all.
A google of the Wien distribution will show immediate agreement. They use ## \nu ## for frequency instead of f. Typically the parameters in the exponential are 5 or greater for the high f behavior and ## e^5-1=e^5 ## etc. to a very good approximation. (The minus 1 is insignificant in comparing the U(f) to U(2f) etc. for large f.)

1) What is Planck's Law?

Planck's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between the energy of a photon and its frequency. It was first introduced by physicist Max Planck in 1900 and is used to explain the distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody at different frequencies.

2) What are the low and high frequency limits of Planck's Law?

The low frequency limit of Planck's Law is known as the Rayleigh-Jeans limit, which applies to frequencies much lower than the characteristic frequency of the blackbody. The high frequency limit is known as the Wien's displacement law, which applies to frequencies much higher than the characteristic frequency.

3) How does Planck's Law relate to the electromagnetic spectrum?

Planck's Law is used to explain the distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody at different frequencies. This distribution is known as the blackbody radiation curve and it follows the shape of the electromagnetic spectrum. As the frequency increases, the energy of the photons also increases.

4) What is the significance of Planck's Law?

Planck's Law is significant because it provided a theoretical foundation for understanding the behavior of blackbody radiation, which was previously unexplained by classical physics. It also laid the groundwork for the development of quantum mechanics and is still used today in fields such as astrophysics and thermodynamics.

5) How is Planck's Law calculated?

Planck's Law is calculated using the equation E = hf, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the photon. This equation can be used to determine the energy of a photon at any given frequency, and is the basis for the blackbody radiation curve.