Planar orbit of planets around sun

In summary: However, if there are no external torques on the system, then the angular momentum of the system will be conserved and the particles will tend to align in a common plane. This is known as the "angular momentum barrier."In summary, the interaction between three or more bodies through gravity can result in the particles rotating in a single plane, known as the "angular momentum barrier." However, this is only true if there are no external torques on the system. Otherwise, the particles may not align in a common plane.
Shubham135
Imagine thee planets interacting through gravity, mathematically how should they come and rotate in a same plane, like planets and sun?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shubham135 said:
Imagine thee planets interacting through gravity, mathematically how should they come and rotate in a same plane, like planets and sun?

Likes Dale
Three points determine a plane.

A.T. said:

sir i heard all that the galaxies started as dust and then it cooled and due to angular momentum conservation it happrnd, but my question is that if three point masses are interacting can you give me an equation that tells that they will eventually rotate in a single plane?

Vanadium 50 said:
but rotation can be in two planes, think about it, a point fixed at origin second point rotating aroung it in xy plane and third one in yz plane.

Shubham135 said:
sir i heard all that the galaxies started as dust and then it cooled and due to angular momentum conservation it happrnd, but my question is that if three point masses
It applies to 3 particles too, but collisions are less likely.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think the OP means a plane that contains the Sun too, and has a fixed orientation in an inertial frame.

Shubham135 said:
think about it

Good advice.

Three points determine a plane. Three bodies will always be in a plane. It is true that that plane may not be constant in a particular coordinate system (e.g. one where everything is moving up with some velocity) but that is always true.

If you are talking about three planets and the sun, you should say so and do it clearly.

Likes Tyrannosaurus_
Vanadium 50 said:
Good advice.

Three points determine a plane. Three bodies will always be in a plane. It is true that that plane may not be constant in a particular coordinate system (e.g. one where everything is moving up with some velocity) but that is always true.

If you are talking about three planets and the sun, you should say so and do it clearly.

I chose three points just to make the problem simpler you can aslo say it for four points they don't lie in a plane nessesarily but thry come in a plane if interacting through a central force

A.T. said:
It applies to 3 particles too, but collisions are less likely.
So they don't come into a place throught collisions ..sp how do they come in the plane?

Shubham135 said:
So they don't come into a place throught collisions ..sp how do they come in the plane?
I mean three particles..if collisions are less likely ..let say one has radius of orbit twise as big than the other and they rotate around sun with sun at center in circular orbits...and their axis of rotation are perpendicular..will they cone to an intermediate plane?

A.T. said:
No.
so the collisions is the only culprit here? or can we say they come into plane through mutual graviational attraction?

Shubham135 said:
I mean three particles..if collisions are less likely ..let say one has radius of orbit twise as big than the other and they rotate around sun with sun at center in circular orbits...and their axis of rotation are perpendicular..will they cone to an intermediate plane?
Without collisions, they won't necessarily tend towards one plane.

Related to Planar orbit of planets around sun

1. What is a planar orbit?

A planar orbit refers to the path that a planet takes as it revolves around the sun. It is a two-dimensional plane that is perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the planet.

2. How do planets maintain a planar orbit around the sun?

Planets maintain a planar orbit around the sun due to the force of gravity. The sun's massive gravitational pull keeps the planets in orbit and prevents them from deviating from the planar path.

3. Are all planets in our solar system in a planar orbit?

Yes, all planets in our solar system have a planar orbit. This is due to the fact that our solar system formed from a large, rotating disk of gas and dust, which resulted in all the planets orbiting in the same plane.

4. Can a planet's orbit become non-planar over time?

Yes, a planet's orbit can become non-planar over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other planets or external forces from objects outside of our solar system. However, these changes are typically small and do not significantly affect the overall planar nature of the orbit.

5. How does a planet's distance from the sun affect its planar orbit?

The distance of a planet from the sun does not have a significant impact on its planar orbit. As long as the planet remains within the gravitational pull of the sun, it will continue to orbit in a planar path. However, the distance can affect the shape of the orbit, with planets further from the sun having more elliptical orbits compared to those closer to the sun.