Planar capacitance calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of planar capacitance with one plane in a different position from another. The use of conformal mapping is suggested to solve this problem, but the person is struggling to find a good source to explain it. They ask for recommendations for books, links, or pdf files on the topic. Another person suggests searching for books on classical electricity and magnetism, such as "Classical Electricity and Magnetism" by Panofsky and Phillips. The conversation ends with a reminder to try a Google search.
yzriver
hi, all:

I am going to calculate the planar capacitance, of which one plane is in different position to anther. For example:

a)

.....***********

b)
...**************

c)

...*
...*
...*
..*
...*************

'*' represents the metal plane.

The conformal mapping method is suggested to solve this problme. However, I can't find a good source to explain it. Could you recommand any book, link, or pdf file?

Thank you.

Jay

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I should be question mark in front.
shame.

Problems needing conformal transformations are far from funny.
I think that all books named like "classical electricity and magnetism" talk about conformal transformation. I can mention and old one: same name, authors Panofsky and Phillips, Adisson-Wesley.
You can try a Google search. Good look.

Related to Planar capacitance calculation

1. What is planar capacitance?

Planar capacitance is a measure of the ability of a planar structure, such as a parallel plate capacitor, to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of farads (F).

2. How is planar capacitance calculated?

The capacitance of a planar structure can be calculated by dividing the electric charge on one conductor by the potential difference between the two conductors. This can also be expressed as the product of the permittivity of the material between the conductors and the area of the plates divided by the distance between them.

3. What factors affect planar capacitance?

The capacitance of a planar structure is affected by several factors, including the distance between the conductors, the area of the plates, and the permittivity of the material between them. It is also influenced by the shape and orientation of the conductors, as well as any nearby objects that may create electric fields.

4. How does planar capacitance differ from other types of capacitance?

Planar capacitance differs from other types of capacitance, such as spherical or cylindrical capacitance, in that it is specifically related to the geometry of two parallel plates. Other types of capacitance have different equations and factors that affect their values.

5. What applications require accurate planar capacitance calculations?

Planar capacitance calculations are crucial in the design and analysis of various electronic and electrical systems. They are commonly used in the design of integrated circuits, printed circuit boards, and other electronic components. Accurate planar capacitance calculations are also important in high-frequency communication systems, as well as in the study of electromagnetic fields and waves.