Pion Nucleon Scattering and Group Theory in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the conversation revolved around Pion Nucleon Scattering and the use of group theory and representations in describing the interaction term. It was discussed that the nucleon is in the fundamental representation of SU(2) and the pions are in the isospin multiplet. There was also a question about why the number of pions corresponds to the number of generators and the dimension of the Pauli matrices corresponds to the number of nucleon states. The conversation concluded with the mention of the nucleon charge and its similarity to the s.L term in atomic physics.
Physiana
Pion Nucleon Scattering and a bit about group theory/ representations

Hello everybody,

I am going through Ryder's book about Quantum Field Theory right now. In the chapter about Pion Nucleon scattering he writes the interaction term like

[tex] L_{int}=ig \bar{\psi} \gamma_5 \tau_a \psi \phi^a [/tex]

where the [tex]\tau_a[/tex] are the Pauli matrices. I wonder now; [tex]\psi[/tex] is the nucleon field, [tex]\phi[/tex] the pions
my script of the lecture says that the nucleon is in fundamental representation of SU(2). So we have nucleon dublet corresponding to dimension of the Pauli matrices?
What representation does he use for the Pions? And why does the number [tex]\pi^-,\pi^+,\pi^0[/tex] correspond to the number of generators and the dimension of the [tex]\tau[/tex] to the number of nucleon States?
I do not exactly understand why I treat the dublet of proton and neutron so differently from the pion fields. Both are Isospin multiplets so I should actually describe them in the same "space"... e.g. regarding the nucleons also as a linear combination of the pauli matrices like we did with the pions, but then actually setting the coefficient of [tex]\tau_1[/tex] to zero [tex]\psi_1 = 0[/tex], because we do not have negative nucleon charge... I always thought the number of generators would correspond to the number of multiplets?

Thank you for your help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there really no one who has an idea?

The pion have Ispin 1.
The index a has the values 1,2,3, with 3 being like the z component.
Linear combos of 1 and 2 are + and -
The nucleon charge is [tex]q=(1+\tau_3)/2[/tex]
In vector notation it reads [tex]{\vec \tau}\cdot{\vec \phi}[/tex].
That is just like s.L in atomic physics, with L=1.
An older book on particle physics may have more detail than Ryder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Pion Nucleon Scattering and Group Theory in Quantum Field Theory

1. What is Pion Nucleon Scattering?

Pion nucleon scattering is a type of interaction that occurs between a pion (a type of subatomic particle) and a nucleon (a particle found in the nucleus of an atom, such as a proton or neutron). This interaction is a fundamental process in nuclear and particle physics and is used to study the structure of nucleons and the strong force that binds them together.

2. How is Group Theory used in Quantum Field Theory?

Group theory is a mathematical framework that is used to study the symmetries and transformations of physical systems. In quantum field theory, group theory is used to classify and analyze the particles and fields that make up the universe. It is also used to study the interactions between particles and to make predictions about their behavior.

3. What are the applications of Pion Nucleon Scattering in research?

Pion nucleon scattering has many applications in research, such as studying the structure of nucleons, testing theories of the strong force, and understanding the behavior of hadrons (particles made up of quarks and gluons). It is also used in nuclear and particle physics experiments to probe the properties of matter and to explore the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

4. How does Pion Nucleon Scattering contribute to our understanding of the strong force?

Pion nucleon scattering is an important tool in understanding the strong force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. By studying the interactions between pions and nucleons, scientists can gain insight into the strong force and its role in binding quarks together to form protons and neutrons, which in turn make up the nuclei of atoms.

5. What are some current developments in the study of Pion Nucleon Scattering and Group Theory?

Currently, there is ongoing research in pion nucleon scattering and group theory to further understand the structure of nucleons and the strong force. This includes experiments using high-energy accelerators to study the properties of pions and nucleons, as well as theoretical studies to improve our understanding of these interactions. Additionally, there is ongoing work to apply these concepts to other areas of physics, such as cosmology and condensed matter physics.