Pion Decay and Relativity Question

In summary, a charged pion that decays in 10^-8 seconds in its own rest frame must travel at a speed of 2.98 x 10^8 m/s in order to travel 30 meters before decaying in the laboratory frame. This can be calculated using the time dilation formula, where the observer (in this case, the person asking the question) experiences a time of 8.6 x 10^-8 seconds. However, using this formula, the calculated speed is higher than the speed of light, which is not possible. Therefore, the correct answer is D, 2.98 x 10^8 m/s, and an alternative formula must be used to calculate the speed in this scenario.
SecretSnow

Homework Statement

42. If a charged pion that decays in 10−8 second in its own rest frame is to travel 30
m in the laboratory before decaying, the pion’s speed must be most nearly
(A) 0.43 × 108 m/s
(B) 2.84 × 108 m/s
(C) 2.90 × 108 m/s
(D) 2.98 × 108 m/s
(E) 3.00 × 108 m/s

Homework Equations

Time dilation and length contraction formula? They are not given though..

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the time dilation formula and I think that for the observer (me), the time I think the pion is experiencing should be 8.6*10^-8s and when i use this to find the speed, which is 30/t, where t is the dilated time, i get a speed more than the speed of light which is false! I am stuck at this lol. Have I used any wrong formula to calculate the speed? (That is, for relativistic speeds, I shouldn't use 30/t?) If so, which equation should I use? Thanks! I hope you can help me with this question as I would be attending a local junior olympiad soon, I am in year 10 now.

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, the answer is D but I don't know why. Please enlighten me! Thanks.

Related to Pion Decay and Relativity Question

1. What is pion decay?

Pion decay is the process in which a charged pion particle spontaneously transforms into a muon and a neutrino or an electron and a neutrino.

2. How does pion decay relate to relativity?

Pion decay is governed by the principles of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity. This theory explains how particles can decay and interact with each other at high speeds close to the speed of light.

3. What is the half-life of a pion?

The half-life of a pion is approximately 2.6 x 10^-8 seconds. This means that after this amount of time, half of the original number of pions will have decayed.

4. What is the role of the strong nuclear force in pion decay?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for binding quarks together to form pions. In the process of pion decay, the strong nuclear force is overcome by the weak nuclear force, causing the pion to decay into other particles.

5. Can pion decay be observed in everyday life?

No, pion decay can only be observed in high-energy particle accelerators or in cosmic rays. The half-life of a pion is very short, making it difficult to observe in everyday life.